Yanmar RS1202 Tiller project

/ Yanmar RS1202 Tiller project #1  

MarshSt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2210BD
I picked up a nice RS1202 (I think, no decals on the sheet metal) Yanmar Tiller for use on my 2210BD. Is this an RS1202 based on the pictures?
I have a 3-point tow hitch that I will modify to convert the 2 point mount to 3, awesome idea posted by larso1. I'm working out the final mounting position to make sure there's room for the driveline components. It came with the original short drive shaft and I plan to use the parts and pieces to fab up a shear pin shaft with a slip joint. Still need to figure out how to anchor the tiller metric spline end without welding it on.
I searched for manuals for this model and found some that were posted by bmaverick but none specific to the RS1202. It's chain drive and I want to make sure i adjust and lube it correctly. Anyone got any experience with one of these chain drive models?
More pics to follow as progress dictates.
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_7798.jpg
    IMG_7798.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_7877.jpg
    IMG_7877.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 172
   / Yanmar RS1202 Tiller project #2  
I picked up a nice RS1202 (I think, no decals on the sheet metal) Yanmar Tiller for use on my 2210BD. Is this an RS1202 based on the pictures?
I have a 3-point tow hitch that I will modify to convert the 2 point mount to 3, awesome idea posted by larso1. I'm working out the final mounting position to make sure there's room for the driveline components. It came with the original short drive shaft and I plan to use the parts and pieces to fab up a shear pin shaft with a slip joint. Still need to figure out how to anchor the tiller metric spline end without welding it on.
I searched for manuals for this model and found some that were posted by bmaverick but none specific to the RS1202. It's chain drive and I want to make sure i adjust and lube it correctly. Anyone got any experience with one of these chain drive models?
More pics to follow as progress dictates.
Steve
I'm SUPER jealous and envious that you got a REAL Yanmar tiller from that era. :geek:

I want one, but nothing ever shows up in my area close enough.

I also have about 35 Yanmar tiller Parts Manuals, but not the RSxx02 series.

Since many of the RS use similar or the same drives, I've attached those for reference.

The RC1202 is would be the closest match up I could provide.

BTW, did it come with the hiller rear discs? Those are awesome to have. That's the main reason why I want a Yanmar tiller so bad.

Attachments

• YANMAR TILLER RS1200 RS1300 RS1400 RS1500 RS1600 RC1200 RC1300 RC1400 RC1500 RC1400K PARTS MAN...pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 213
  • YANMAR TILLER RS1303 PARTS MANUAL.pdf
    603.5 KB · Views: 210
  • YANMAR TILLER RS1303K RS1403G RC1503K RC1603G PARTS MANUAL.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 137
  • YANMAR TILLER RC1200 RC1202 NPC-1182.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 161
   / Yanmar RS1202 Tiller project #3  
... hiller rear discs? Those are awesome to have. That's the main reason why I want a Yanmar tiller so bad.
On my RS-1400 the rear wheels are for depth control while the way tines are installed (toss left/right) determines hilling or flat tilling.

I learned the part that goes down to the wheel, like half a bicycle fork, has to go on the outside. This gouges my orchard trees if I get too close. Mounting the wheels on the opposite sides to get the smooth wheel side outward, doesn't work. The wheels crab and make furrows that wouldn't be useful for planting ridges.

Are there other hilling wheels aside from what I described?

/ Yanmar RS1202 Tiller project #4  
On my RS-1400 the rear wheels are for depth control while the way tines are installed (toss left/right) determines hilling or flat tilling.

I learned the part that goes down to the wheel, like half a bicycle fork, has to go on the outside. This gouges my orchard trees if I get too close. Mounting the wheels on the opposite sides to get the smooth wheel side outward, doesn't work. The wheels crab and make furrows that wouldn't be useful for planting ridges.

Are there other hilling wheels aside from what I described?

Yanmar tiller disc/wheels come in a few types off the back end of the tiller.

1648947965624.png

1648948059519.png

These are the rear tiller disc/wheels that can do hilling. They are not adjusted yet for use.

1648948480701.png

Those Yanmar tiller disc/wheels are to behave like this real hiller attachment.

1648948641356.png

Or this one,
2veawl7.jpeg

Or this for corn,

hilling-with-compact.jpg

or this,
garden-hiller.jpg

For a successful hiller, The disc are to be like this and turned inwards. These discs are dome shaped.
1648949116750.png

Now, I want a hiller on my Yanmar tiller with BIG disc/wheel. For potatoes!

Why make 2 passes when a Yanmar tiller can do it all in 1. :)
1648949337786.png

Here's a funny Yanmar tiller at work. LOL :whistle:

1648948399784.png

/ Yanmar RS1202 Tiller project #5  
Yanmar tiller disc/wheels come in a few types off the back end of the tiller.

View attachment 740123

View attachment 740125

These are the rear tiller disc/wheels that can do hilling. They are not adjusted yet for use.

View attachment 740127

Those Yanmar tiller disc/wheels are to behave like this real hiller attachment.

View attachment 740132

Now, I want a hiller on my Yanmar tiller with BIG disc/wheel. For potatoes!

Why make 2 passes when a Yanmar tiller can do it all in 1. :)
View attachment 740138

Here's a funny Yanmar tiller at work. LOL :whistle:

View attachment 740126
Those first two tillers are set up wrong, smooth side of the wheels out. The second photo shows that this makes a gouge where each wheel is crabbed. That's not the intended result, the tilled soil should be flat. The setup diagram on my RS1400 wants smooth side in.

I like the third photo. It looks like the wheels can be locked at the angle needed for hilling instead of swiveling.

Hey that last LOL funny photo is MY $200 tiller!! (in my apple orchard). On the YM240 which it was intended for (on YM2000) but my ROPS and oversize tires make this unsuitable for my orchard, I can't get close to the trees. A first trial, when I bought it. A few feet in 540rpm gear then a few more in 1,000 gear which turned the soil to fine flour. I concluded 540 is the right gear for American farming and the higher speeds used in Japan must be for rice paddy muck. This was before I had the rear wheels.

And here's that RS1400 on the little YM186D the first time I tried it there. I still hadn't learned that the wheels need to be smooth side in to avoid running crabbed and making the ruts shown here. I finally swapped them so each wheel is smooth side in, and now my tilling result is even with no ruts.

p1640595rrototilling2011-jpg.222411

/ Yanmar RS1202 Tiller project
It was a total fluke that I found it bmaverick. I have been thinking I need to get going on smoothing out my "yard" and was looking for ideas for a Harley rake and searched tillers on CL (first search in years) and two Yanmar tillers popped up from the same seller. A 1400 3-point and this one. The 1400 sold in less than 4 hours but I got my hooks into this one, probably because of the 2-point. It was in better shape any way. Thanks for the manuals, they will be a big help!
Mine has what looks like the complete wheel setup on the rear but I don't know anything about plot prep and I'm not planning any planting prep except grass seed if this works.
The mount is all done, now on to the driveline.

Attachments

• IMG_8001.jpg
    IMG_8001.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_8008.jpg
    IMG_8008.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 111
   / Yanmar RS1202 Tiller project #7  
I like your workmanship. It doesn't modify the tiller, just mounts it.

If someone else is considering doing this, here's a photo I copied from an old post describing a similar project. Anyone recall who originally posted this?
tiller-2point-to-3-point-jpg.600176

I think for either of these designs, mounting the tiller so far back will make it necessary to have rear 'training wheels' to till to a constant depth.

/ Yanmar RS1202 Tiller project #9  
It was a total fluke that I found it bmaverick. I have been thinking I need to get going on smoothing out my "yard" and was looking for ideas for a Harley rake and searched tillers on CL (first search in years) and two Yanmar tillers popped up from the same seller. A 1400 3-point and this one. The 1400 sold in less than 4 hours but I got my hooks into this one, probably because of the 2-point. It was in better shape any way. Thanks for the manuals, they will be a big help!
Mine has what looks like the complete wheel setup on the rear but I don't know anything about plot prep and I'm not planning any planting prep except grass seed if this works.

That's great work for making a 2PT mount to a 3PT setup. Thanks for sharing!

/ Yanmar RS1202 Tiller project
3-point went for $550 f I remember correctly and I paid $575 for the 2-point. The 3-point had the top link and driveline. Mine has the original mounting bracket and driveline also.
Thanks for the compliments, I'm pretty OCD when it comes to modifying things and I'm fortunate to have a pretty well equipped shop although a few Frankensteins have passed though my doors as well.