Yanmar tiller ID help

/ Yanmar tiller ID help
In the RS1200/RS1300 section, go to page 9. Look at item-1.

View attachment 748568

This is the parts list to the right.
View attachment 748569

1264L = 1264mm Long.

1264 / 25.4 = 49.763 inches. You measured 48 inside. That item-1 shaft goes to the outside chain case too.

Deduction, you have an RS1200 tiller. :)

The RS1300 is 1359L (1359mm Long.)

1359 / 25.4 = 53.50 inches. Thus it's a 52 inch tiller.

Glad the mystery is solved. Now it's up to you to work towards the restoration. Keep posting to this thread as you make progress. It will keep us intrigued and help others in the near future with an RS1xxx series tiller.

I'm still amazed at the big round Yanmar logo on the machine; Wonder how it became to be on the tiller.
The farmer I got it from said she got it as is from whereever she got it. She ordered set of tines, which may acct for the various sizes (2 and the 1 oddball)

I've got it all stripped down now - need to relocate a lady black widow and her egg ball, but then i'll be looking to reattach the tines I have based on that other thread that shows the various patterns, and see how many I actually need - IF I need to get any more really at all.

thank you!

/ Yanmar tiller ID help
You already know Japanese.

Copy page section as image, then past into Yandex OCR. Pick Japanese <===> English.

Page-5 upper left side.

View attachment 748455

Via Yandex

View attachment 748456

If it translates funny, zoom in a little more and try again. ;)

Drive Binion shaft = Drive Pinion Shaft

Bevel Vinion = Beveled Union.

Rotagya Case Left = Rotary Case Left.

Japanese is based on phonic sounds to symbols, thus even in translating we sound out the words until it makes sense.
I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the item on section 5 is for? I tried to translate it, but it comes up as a "Debs gauge relationship". It's the threaded pole that has a handle/wheel on the top. It's basically frozen up for now, I've been trying to break it loose. it's been soaked in wd40 for days but it won't budge. Is it imperative to use?

Also, I need to find another bolt for the bolt that holds the arms. (I can't find it in the diagram, so sorry it's a terrible description. I'll shoot a pic)

/ Yanmar tiller ID help #33  
I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the item on section 5 is for? I tried to translate it, but it comes up as a "Debs gauge relationship". It's the threaded pole that has a handle/wheel on the top. It's basically frozen up for now, I've been trying to break it loose. it's been soaked in wd40 for days but it won't budge. Is it imperative to use?

Also, I need to find another bolt for the bolt that holds the arms. (I can't find it in the diagram, so sorry it's a terrible description. I'll shoot a pic)
WD40 is one of the weakest oil to use. Something that old and stuck needs Deep Creep.
Plenty of YT vids showing how weak WD40 and PB are. In many instances hydraulic oil can beat WD40 & PB.

/ Yanmar tiller ID help #34  
That wheel adjusts the 'training wheels' in back up/down for depth control. If you don't have the wheels, ignore it. (Most modern tillers don't have depth wheels at all).

I've read that ATF + 25% Acetone is the best penetrant. Works for me! That's my favorite since both are free, from the re-use shelf at the county's Hazardous Waste Disposal facility. Anything that's legal to sell in California goes on that shelf instead of being trucked and buried at a disposal site in the Nevada desert.

/ Yanmar tiller ID help #35  
Heat often helps lubricants get in, especially if there is some residual tension when hot.

I think that the translation was perhaps not that far off. Saying it out loud sometimes helps me...
"Debs gauge relationship"
"Depth gauge adjuster"(?)

I have a friend who does simulataneous Japanese English translation, as well as technical translations. I remember two that she brought to me for help on the concise English meaning;
IIRC,
cold-hot-cold-strong-pressed-rock (gneiss) and​
Stiff-motion-time-distance-height-music-observation (vibrational stiffness testing of a foundation floor)​
I may have the English version of the kanji wrong with the passage of time. Apologies to all Japanese speakers out there.

Personally, I am fascinated with the different ways concepts and items are named and described in different languages. Some concepts are easy in some languages and quite alien in others. I remember one language that had a phrase for "thank you", but really only foreigners used it, and there was no word or phrase for "you are welcome", but gratitude was expressed in other ways. It made me think a lot about how to express gratitude towards others.

All the best,

Peter

/ Yanmar tiller ID help #36  
That wheel adjusts the 'training wheels' in back up/down for depth control. If you don't have the wheels, ignore it. (Most modern tillers don't have depth wheels at all).

I've read that ATF + 25% Acetone is the best penetrant. Works for me! That's my favorite since both are free, from the re-use shelf at the county's Hazardous Waste Disposal facility. Anything that's legal to sell in California goes on that shelf instead of being trucked and buried at a disposal site in the Nevada desert.
Those tiller depth wheels can work as hiller discs too. Some of the tillers have the wheels nearly straight out the back and just off center and not at the outer edges.

/ Yanmar tiller ID help
ah well, no wheels or hillers (I have a sep attachment for those anyway), so I'll quit fussing with it. lol THANK YOU!

/ Yanmar tiller ID help #38  
ah well, no wheels or hillers (I have a sep attachment for those anyway), so I'll quit fussing with it. lol THANK YOU!
If you are talented, you could fab something up like the original to use as a hiller off the back of the tiller. This way, 1-pass to do 2 jobs. And with the price of fuel, that is a SAVINGS right there. :)

Here is an RS1303. Notice the hiller or training wheels. IF one swaps the right and left wheels via the positional brackets, then the hiller function can work.

1654621591496.png

Additionally, I came across another tiller with the round Yanmar logo. It seems this is a masked template and using a white rattle can the logo is made.

1654621794365.png

It would be neat to find out who the re-seller of these marked tiller were once they got here.

/ Yanmar tiller ID help #39  
The link down to the wheel axle, like half a bicycle fork, should be on the outside of the wheel for the wheel to roll straight.

Or, set up like in the photo with the link on the inner side, the wheels will crab to maximum and have some hiller effect. Or at least, cut gouges.
Here is an RS1303. Notice the hiller or training wheels. IF one swaps the right and left wheels via the positional brackets, then the hiller function can work.

1654621591496-png.749285

Here's where I learned this. I then swapped wheel assemblies left/right, no more gouges.
p1640595rrototilling2011-jpg.222411

Last edited:
   / Yanmar tiller ID help #40  
No gauge wheels and never a need for my mothers old garden. She said planting was effortless. The pic. is as low as the 3Pt. would go down. Really deep.... 1st of the season pass.

Attachments

• Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 190