Yard machine log splitter 26ton changed engine from vertical to horizontal.

/ Yard machine log splitter 26ton changed engine from vertical to horizontal. #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
It was a fun projection and I am glad the splitter works well.
If you have a problem with a vertical engine, better to consider changing to a horizontal engine.
It is much easier to maintain in future.
Hope this video helps someone who needs to do so...
John

/ Yard machine log splitter 26ton changed engine from vertical to horizontal. #2  
Very good.....

I bought a 30 year old DURR splitter with a puked B&S horizontal engine that needed replacing. New B&S was like $375.... New Predator from HF was $139.... Can replace Predator in future if necessary and still be ahead for cost of B&S.... Only issue was shaft on Predator was about 1/2 inch longer than B&S so I had to space out pump mount about that 1/2 inch (1/2 nut and a washer between pump mount and engine block made a good spacer) ... Yes I could have cut engine shaft but that would have violated warranty (?).. The amazing thing was form factor of Predator was exactly same as B&S as for bolt thread type and mounting dimensions....

Last edited:
   / Yard machine log splitter 26ton changed engine from vertical to horizontal.
Very good.....

I bought a 30 year old DURR splitter with a puked B&S horizontal engine that needed replacing. New B&S was like $375.... New Predator from HF was $139.... Can replace Predator in future if necessary and still be ahead for cost of B&S.... Only issue was shaft on Predator was about 1/2 inch longer than B&S so I had to space out pump mount about that 1/2 inch (1/2 nut and a washer between pump mount and engine block made a good spacer) ... Yes I could have cut engine shaft but that would have violated warranty (?).. The amazing thing was form factor of Predator was exactly same as B&S as for bolt thread type and mounting dimensions....
I had exactly the same problem on the new engine shaft.
That was the reason I purchased the new pump bracket from Ebay for $25 and installed.
It was perfect fit.
I think it would be much easier to replace it instead modify the shaft.
John
9.jpg