year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #1  

orangetree

Silver Member
Tractor
kioti ck2610
Looking to make a cover for my sawmill and a few other less-weatherproof tools** which at least for a the next several years will be stored outside.

I've tried tarps, but:
  1. with the relatively harsh & consistent sun we get they degrade faster than i'd like
  2. because they are fully waterproof (not breathable like ~sunbrella), pinhole leaks and/or moisture from the ground seems to collect inside, leading to the surface rust i'm trying to avoid.
  3. it's in full view, at least until we can finish our permanent house, and the wife would greatly appreciate if it looks "nice" for what it is.
I've made covers for some similar (but much smaller) things outside out of awning fabric (Sunbrella), which is great - decade+ in full sun, very waterproof but also has some air-permeability so nothing rusts under it. But it's expensive at $25+/yard, and it's realtively thin so i'd have to double it up many places with ~sharp edges.

Any ideas for something "very water repellant" UV-resistant, and durable, but cheaper?

**If i find a fabric i like, i'll probably also make it for my BH, as I only use it a couple times a year and it lives outside otherwise as I have no space left in my barn. It should survive fine outside, i suppose, but i'd feel better keeping it covered.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #2  
They do sell heavy poly uv resistant tarps. We've had good luck getting 5 years of being outdoors with them.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #3  
Unless you seal the equipment from the ground and the air, I think non climate controlled storage is always going to have times where the metal is cold and the air is warm and humid.... I have a hoop barn with a tarp cover and even when its closed up relatively tight, a cool night followed by a warm humid morning leaves some condensation. I just dab tractor hyd fluid on unpainted surfaces of everything and it slows the rust a bit and keeps it minor. The hoop barn tarps are good for quite a while, 10 years? If you could buy that material unsewn it would be a good tarp.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #4  
I have vehicles in two of these and both have lasted about 10 years....

abba-patio-carports-hdgp1220peb-b-64_1000.jpg

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #5  
Poly tarps suck. Get a canvas tarp. They dont sail up like poly and dont trap moisture like poly. Idk on the cost per yard.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #6  
Poly tarps suck. Get a canvas tarp. They dont sail up like poly and dont trap moisture like poly. Idk on the cost per yard.
Which polyester tarp do you speak of?? The ones they sell at the hw store are not worth there minimal cost. But you can find good ones.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #7  
Which polyester tarp do you speak of?? The ones they sell at the hw store are not worth there minimal cost. But you can find good ones.
Silver HF. I believe there 9mil. Either way they sail up in any wind like crazy or rip out the grommets.

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #9  
Post a good one

/ year-round fabric cover for more delicate tools/implements #10  
We must have 20 tarps. We tarp firewood, a 28 foot boat, and our tractors... and always have.

I cannot find what I want locally in quality or selection - or price for that matter. For the last decade I've been buying from TarpSupply.com. Ive bought several different weights & sizes of their of poly tarp & industrial tarp, waxed cotton tarps, and lately been buying their new poly/canvas blended tarps.

Get the poly/canvas. It's a synthetic & cotton mix.
Here is one order. They often have specials.

9'x12' Green Polyester CTP0912FFK 1 119.99
Canvas Tarp [EXACT SIZE
Special]
(Shipped)