Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #181  
^^^^
Lamborghini Miura, is the first that comes to mind. There have been many ICE fires, especially in exotic sports cars, which, in most cases are caused by fuel leaks coming into contact with hot exhaust components.

Mike

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #182  
Do you disagree that ‘most’ apartment dwellers are unlikely to travel great distances for everyday commute?
around here we have apartment dwellers in the Sacramento area that commute to the SF area. That's 80-90 miles one way. 150-200 miles is certainly in the range of most EV's, but charging them at night at the apartment complex ...

its California, lots of things don't make sense, but that's the way it is.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #183  
Are those folks lining up to buy new vehicles currently of the ICE variety? Or participating in used market already anyways?

Or not at all, minimum wage with any vehicle purchase price, fuel, maintenance, insurance, registration is a stretch.

What are we trying to compare here?
comparing people buying a vehicle. and your comment about "So I’m not totally understanding how EVs are totally ‘out of reach?’ Seems economy ICE to economy EV are at least comparable?"

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #184  
I large percentage of EV owners and hybrid owners switch back to ICE powered vehicles....it seems to be largely dependent on the home charging situation. Without Level 2 charging at home that number jumps to over half switching back to ICE powered vehicle. Level 2 home charging should get better moving forward so those number could change.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #185  
I large percentage of EV owners and hybrid owners switch back to ICE powered vehicles....it seems to be largely dependent on the home charging situation. Without Level 2 charging at home that number jumps to over half switching back to ICE powered vehicle. Level 2 home charging should get better moving forward so those number could change.
I have a level 2 charging port 220v in my garage. We never use it. Not really needed unless we need to go back out after we get home. If all charging is overnight, special charging is not needed.

I'm in Lubbock right now as my kid is at orientation for TTU. 300 miles from home. (450 miles from our house in-progress). It is also about a 2500 ft ascent, not huge, but noticeable impact on mpg. Many EV could not make the trip as it is too far. The Hotel has one charging port and it is a Tesla specific station...meaning we cannot use it. If we only had an EV we would have had to rent... Wait, can you still rent ICE? Either way, in real life practical terms a pure EV would be horrible as a sole means of transportation. The good news is that I filled the hybrid tank with 7 gallons on gas at $4.09. Tank holds 10 gallons, but still get 550-700 miles per tank depending on elevation, weather and traffic.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #186  
So far, i'm not aware of any of the people who bought EVs have gone back to ICE, but then they are new vehicles. You'd have to be nutz to buy a new vehicle that often.

BTW my sister told me she bought a new Tesla, I don't know what model. She said it had two motors, extended range and most importantly, pearl white. She will rent the driver assist for $200 month, the one that cost an extra $12K. I'm pretty keen to check it out.

You people that are all freaked out about the environmental cost of vehicles can start walking more, good for you and the environment, kind of a win win. BTW, give your battery tools away and your smart phones, so other people won't have to buy new ones.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #187  
So far, i'm not aware of any of the people who bought EVs have gone back to ICE, but then they are new vehicles. You'd have to be nutz to buy a new vehicle that often.

BTW my sister told me she bought a new Tesla, I don't know what model. She said it had two motors, extended range and most importantly, pearl white. She will rent the driver assist for $200 month, the one that cost an extra $12K. I'm pretty keen to check it out.

You people that are all freaked out about the environmental cost of vehicles can start walking more, good for you and the environment, kind of a win win. BTW, give your battery tools away and your smart phones, so other people won't have to buy new ones.
The environmentals are getting their plane tickets for July 4 holiday. The end of the world is near but they can board a jet and carbonize the world while I stay home and work in the garden.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #188  
I hadn't heard that. What is your source for that information?

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #189  
Yeah extreme costs, like we already have power plants and don’t need to build solar or windmills to begin with.
So you can beg to differ, but thats what I mean by extreme costs, they arent even necessary.
Where are you getting your "facts"? The US has a serious shortage of power plans and distribution. Solar plants cost less than a quarter to build of what a natural gas plant costs.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #190  
Sounds like moving to EVs from ICE manufacturing is a struggle but a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.