YFL 155 hydraulic cylinder replacements

/ YFL 155 hydraulic cylinder replacements #1  

Strahwberry

Tractor
YM155D
Good morning/afternoon!
My saga with the YFL155 continues, although, I think I'm getting a better handle on it (with your all's help).
I have a 155d yanmar with a YFL155 FEL. I identified that the lift cylinders have an internal leak (valve is fine). I know there's little known about the YFL155 specs other than it's a 2" diameter. I also know I can take to a hydraulic shop and have them spec out the rebuild and do it. However, the nearest hydraulic shop is 90 miles away (I live in the sticks). Has anyone spec'd out new cylinders and just replaced the old ones?

I was looking at a few hydraulic cylinders online and it looks like for around $200 a pop you can replace. With the price of diesel, a 180 mile round trip, twice (drop off and pick up), I'm thinking just buying new may be a wash to rebuilding.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.
Jon

/ YFL 155 hydraulic cylinder replacements #2  
Another alternative is buy the seals online and do the rebuild yourself. This is all standard generic stuff, just take the cylinder apart and measure what you need. It's not rocket surgery.

I spent about $10 in parts and did the other loader curl cylinder, after the local hydraulics shop charged me $165 for the first one.

In my case I had to buy HF's longest pipe wrench to unscrew the end cap. I learned this was needed, by noting the pipe wrench gouges on the one the shop did. If your end caps need a specialized tool, you'll still save money making or buying the tool for that.

When you unscrew the nut at the inner end of the piston, leave the outer end of the piston attached to the tractor so you have something to wrench against.

Buying replacement cylinders has the risk that they won't mount identical to what's there, so replacement just adds complexity.

/ YFL 155 hydraulic cylinder replacements #3  
Good morning/afternoon!
My saga with the YFL155 continues, although, I think I'm getting a better handle on it (with your all's help).
I have a 155d yanmar with a YFL155 FEL. I identified that the lift cylinders have an internal leak (valve is fine). I know there's little known about the YFL155 specs other than it's a 2" diameter. I also know I can take to a hydraulic shop and have them spec out the rebuild and do it. However, the nearest hydraulic shop is 90 miles away (I live in the sticks). Has anyone spec'd out new cylinders and just replaced the old ones?

I was looking at a few hydraulic cylinders online and it looks like for around $200 a pop you can replace. With the price of diesel, a 180 mile round trip, twice (drop off and pick up), I'm thinking just buying new may be a wash to rebuilding.

Jon
Jon, I too would echo 'California's' remarks and give a heads up as a reminder that much on our YM Series is METRIC.

/ YFL 155 hydraulic cylinder replacements #4  
I think those YFL loaders were made in the US Canada! for dealer install, so not necessarily metric seals.

At any rate my local hydraulic shop just glanced at what I brought in and pulled the correct replacements from their back room.

Expand this. YFL650 (on YM186D) tag shows Made In Canada.

ym186dstep20190830_161102-jpg.619354

Last edited:
   / YFL 155 hydraulic cylinder replacements #5  
@Strahwberry @California makes a great suggestion. My only comments would be to check that your chrome is in scratch/gouge free shape before you start, and as soon as you can see inside the cylinder. If you have scratches or gouges, it is time for a new cylinder. If you want to see how it is done, Cutting Edge Engineering has a couple of YouTube videos on how to do this in general. He posted one today on how to make the tool to do the service.

New ones are sized by diameter, and extended length, type, and where the hydraulics are plumbed. Surplus Center has lots to choose from.

All the best,

Peter

/ YFL 155 hydraulic cylinder replacements #6  
Good morning/afternoon!

Jon

I'm curious how you identified that the lift cylinders have an internal leak and that the valve is fine. Usually it is the other way around.

There may be a way to tell which one is leaking that doesn't involve taking the hoses loose from the valve and plugging some. But if so I don't know it.

Here are the loader specs for the OEM YFL 155 loader:
rScotty
YFL155 loader specs_2.jpg

/ YFL 155 hydraulic cylinder replacements #7  
Another alternative is buy the seals online and do the rebuild yourself. This is all standard generic stuff, just take the cylinder apart and measure what you need. It's not rocket surgery.

I totally agree. First time I had a cylinder redone (dipperstick on backhoe, the middle cylinder) They charged me OVER $1,000 and I was floored.... they finally dropped it down to $1,000 to "make me a happy customer". (this was the last time I've ever stepped into that place since)

Next time a cylinder needed redone, I knew it's not rocket science, as long as nothing is bent or deeply scored. Since then, I've redone my:

Dump cylinders on loader
Lift cylinders on loader
Boom cylinder (THAT was fun.....NOT, I had to have hoe at downward angle to wiggle it out but, I'm persistent)
Swing cylinders
Stabilizers

Now that I think of it, I've done every cylinder on here since that $1,000. I currently have the rod of the dipperstick in shop to get straightened a bit (they found it, it LOOKS straight) but more importantly, there is a deep nick that goes past seals and it's leaking so they're going to fill in that nick, I can't do that)

Otherwise, cuss like a sailor a couple times and have at it.

If you screw it up, THEN you can take it to the shop. Just be cautious on where the seals/gaskets go so you can put them back in their respective places. I put blue painters tape over the threads as I installed the O-ring to protect it.

Gaskets.jpg

C1.jpg

C3.jpg

c12.jpg

c16.jpg

c19.jpg

Last edited:
   / YFL 155 hydraulic cylinder replacements #8  
I'm curious how you identified that the lift cylinders have an internal leak and that the valve is fine. Usually it is the other way around.

There may be a way to tell which one is leaking that doesn't involve taking the hoses loose from the valve and plugging some. But if so I don't know it.
Very nice work and a nice post.

I'm still curious how you identified that the lift cylinders have an internal leak and that the valve is fine. Usually it is the other way around. I think a lot of cylinders get rebuilt but then we never test to see if the valve is contributing to the problems.

rScotty

/ YFL 155 hydraulic cylinder replacements #10  
I see "Independent Hydraulic system, 5.7gpm @ 2700, and 800 psi". So a separate pump off the front of the crankshaft?

Yes. When a loader was put onto the YM155, it was offered in basic form with a common "T" block diverter mounted on top of the transmission. I've still got one of those blocks around somewhere & have even seen them on ebay. Powered that way, the loader used the 3pt hydraulics for the basic pressure supply. That works because you normally don't use loader & 3pt at the same time.

Or if the customer wanted, for about an extra $400 - I think - Yanmar offered a separate hydraulic pump driven off the front of thefront crankshaft. Coupling to the front crankshaft was by a double row flex chain coupling. The separate pump also had its own separate hydraulic reservoir in the right side loader upright.

That separate hydraulic pump really made the loader jump. It was actually too powerful for the tractor, but since the YFL155 loader was mounted on its own full length subframe from the front bumper reaching all the way to the rear axle housing....there was no way it could damage the tractor by lifting too much.
rScotty