YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !!

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !! #11  
How can the bleeder be "above the level of the fuel tank" don't all these tractors have a fuel tank at the top and right under the hood just or just other side of the dash and the injection pump is on the side or lower front of the engine? I guess you could have a pump up higher on the front and a lower placed tank than the YMs I have seen and if your fuel level was low it might occur?

I think the OP is saying that because of the relative level of the fuel tank and the bleeder on the filter, that it is possible for the tank to have a small amount of fuel but that it would be too low for effectively bleeding the system.

In technical engineering terms that is known as a "Design Screwup".

And I think that he may have a point....I vaguely recall (It's been a lot of decades) reading some shop note from Yanmar where they said that on some models to make sure that the fuel tank was near full before bleeding the system. If I run across it again - and if I'm remembering right - I'll post that shop bulletin here.

But in general it's good practice to fill the fuel tank before bleeding the system. That's not just Yanmar, it's every diesel. You want all the head pressure you can get to help force the bubbles out during bleeding, and in this case the vertical distance is the only head pressure available.

I should have mentioned filling the fuel tank and I didn't. My bad, so I'm doing it now.
Luck
rScotty

/ YM155d not starting...ran out of fuel !! #12  

And I think that he may have a point....I vaguely recall (It's been a lot of decades) reading some shop note from Yanmar where they said that on some models to make sure that the fuel tank was near full before bleeding the system. If I run across it again - and if I'm remembering right - I'll post that shop bulletin here.

But in general it's good practice to fill the fuel tank before bleeding the system. That's not just Yanmar, it's every diesel. You want all the head pressure you can get to help force the bubbles out during bleeding, and in this case the vertical distance is the only head pressure available.

I should have mentioned filling the fuel tank and I didn't. My bad, so I'm doing it now.
Luck
rScotty
I thought you did mention to fill it, well someone did and I seconded that as well. Cause like you I read it somewhere, not a technical manual I don't think unless it was the Yanmar shop manual for the ym240 I have. But I swear the directions on Hoyes sight say to fill the fuel tank. I'm not sure though. It helps even if not above the fuel level because you have the weight of the fuel which is greater to displace any air more effectively.