YM186D Wheel flip and hub adjustment

/ YM186D Wheel flip and hub adjustment #1  

cpy911

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 445, Craftsman GT 6000, Yanmar YM186D
I have a YM186D and have been working with member California on flipping the rear wheels so the dish is outboard (wider wheel stance) and he suggested I submit a new thread in case it might help other members. I am just trying this out...not an expert.

I believe that I need to remove the hubs and associated hardware (set screws and through hole pins) to even get the tires (and rims) off the hubs. Once I do that, I plan to reinstall the hubs and mount the flipped wheels with rims to the outside of the hubs. See pictures.
IMG_5478.jpg

"Bolts" removed from hub. The rims are installed on the INSIDE face of the hub. Once I get the hubs off the rims, I plan to mount them more traditionally on the outside.
IMG_5479.jpg

Inside view....I will probably have to remove all the hardware to get the hub off the rim. Plan to paint these white as this color will be on the outside once flipped.

IMG_5480.jpg

Inside view of the other hub before removing any bolts.

IMG_5481.jpg

Outside view of the other hub before removing any bolts.

If anyone has any insights that I am on the right track, let me know!

Thank you,
cpy911

/ YM186D Wheel flip and hub adjustment #2  
I don't see why that would not work but it is interesting that the YM186 manual does not mention flipping the hubs around or flipping the wheels around. It just says there are 3 different possible widths. Seems to me like there are a lot more options than that.

1.jpg

/ YM186D Wheel flip and hub adjustment #3  
That manual is strange. CPY's and my YM186D wheels have the valve stem on the dished side of the wheel. All three of the manual's suggested positions put the valve stem inconveniently on the inner side of the wheel.

But those diagrams all put the center of the tread inboard from the tip of the axle.

I'm running maximum width, with the rims beyond the end of the hubs (like the diagrams) but dished side out which puts the center of the tread well beyond the axle tips.

In my sloping orchard with no ROPS I want maximum rollover resistance, perhaps at the expense of shorter life for the axle bearings and seals. It's strange that the manual doesn't show or discuss this, when dish-out is the only way to have the valve stems accessible.

/ YM186D Wheel flip and hub adjustment
That manual is strange. CPY's and my YM186D wheels have the valve stem on the dished side of the wheel. All three of the manual's suggested positions put the valve stem inconveniently on the inner side of the wheel.

But those diagrams all put the center of the tread inboard from the tip of the axle.

I'm running maximum width, with the rims beyond the end of the hubs (like the diagrams) but dished side out which puts the center of the tread well beyond the axle tips.

In my sloping orchard with no ROPS I want maximum rollover resistance, perhaps at the expense of shorter life for the axle bearings and seals. It's strange that the manual doesn't show or discuss this, when dish-out is the only way to have the valve stems accessible.
Any reason why I could not mount the rims on the outside of the hub once the hub is installed? This would be in the more traditional manner that rims mount to hubs. I have never seen them mounted inside the hub flange like that.

So, the order of operation would be:
1. remove hub and rim from the axle.
2. Remove hardware from the hub
3. Remove rim from hub
4. Reinstall hub onto axle.
5. Repeat for the right hand side.
6. With two hubs now mounted to the axle, flip the rims and install them to the hub in a traditional way.

Note, the first picture of the circular hub has tapped holes. So when mounting from the outside, just thread into the holes through the rim. I then have nuts to secure them on the other side as well.

Kind of like the image below, the hub is mounted in a more inside position, but the dish is out and the rim mounts to the hub like is common.
Used Construction, Agricultural Equip., Trucks, Trailers & more

DD7331ZZA (1).jpg

I got around to flipping the hubs and wheels. The inside of the dishes were just primed grey, so I painted them Yanmar Off-white color. Now the rim mounts to the outside of the hubs with the dish side out. Still waiting for paint to dry and take for a test drive. Even though the manual does not indicate NOT to do this...I am not seeing any safety reasons why it would be a problem.

The rear tire overall width is now increased a lot, hopefully giving some stability on some of the slopes in our front pasture of about 10° to 13°.

IMG_5535.jpg

IMG_5537.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

Gorgeous!

What the heck shredded that tire???
It was that way when I got it. Evidently, when the damage was on the inside edge, someone didn’t keep the lower 3pt arms from swaying too far out. The lower arms then caused the damage.

/ YM186D Wheel flip and hub adjustment #8  
That paint looks so good! Now I wanna paint the wheels on my 226D.