YM2310 dragging brakes?

/ YM2310 dragging brakes? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Or something more ominous? Or nothing at all? So, my YM2310 is hard to push around when both transmissions are in neutral. I was trying to roll it backwards to hook up my new to me tiller. Even after I raised the FEL off of the ground it. Was still very hard to roll on level ground. Hard enough, in fact, that I had to put the tractor in crawl gear to move it.
Here is the tractor's history, what I know of it. It sat for two years without even being started. When I bought it the clutch was stuck, it had wiring problems, and one brake was dragging pretty badly. The seller was completely honest with me, as near as I can tell, about the use the tractor got and the condition it was in when I bought it. He did not say anything about a dragging brake. He did tell me before we made the deal that he thought he had a problem with the brakes. So he bought new brake shoes but before the new shoes arrived the brake problem went away. I think he said that the brakes were dragging. I think he might even have said he took the tractor apart to put the new shoes in but found that the shoes in place were in such good shape he decided to leave them there and just buttoned everything up.
I drove the tractor home from the seller's place, maybe a 3 mile drive. After driving maybe a tenth of a mile the dragging brake seemed to have become free. When I got home the brake housings were not even warm.
I know, I should just jack the damn thing up and see If the wheels turn freely. My back is giving me fits right now but I guess that's what I'll do. Anyway, with both wheels off the ground I should be able to turn the wheels fairly easily, right? And if they do turn easily if one wheel is lowered to the ground the other should still spin easily. Right?
The brakes are adjusted correctly according to the manual. If they are dragging what reason should I look for? What could be wrong with properly adjusted brakes? If the brakes are not dragging should the tractor really be that hard to roll by hand? If not then where should I look next?
Thanks,
Eric

/ YM2310 dragging brakes? #2  

This should get you going. :)

/ YM2310 dragging brakes? #3  
These brakes are very simple. Also it's not easy to roll these small tractors if there on anything besides concrete. The brake rods just pull on a shaft that cams over and spreads the shoes into the drum.

I also have a very long thread about getting one of my brakes unstuck. There notorious for getting seized into the housing. Yours could have a similar issue with it seizing and either not releasing or putting pressure and not releasing? I'd open it up if it were me. Its not much work to get into one.

/ YM2310 dragging brakes?
These brakes are very simple. Also it's not easy to roll these small tractors if there on anything besides concrete. The brake rods just pull on a shaft that cams over and spreads the shoes into the drum.

I also have a very long thread about getting one of my brakes unstuck. There notorious for getting seized into the housing. Yours could have a similar issue with it seizing and either not releasing or putting pressure and not releasing? I'd open it up if it were me. Its not much work to get into one.
Thanks for the replies folks. I guess this winter, when I install the power steering I'll check the brakes too. This winter will see oil and filter changes too. I already have the filters because they came with the tractor. I don't know if I'm gonna change the hydraulic oil, it looks fine now. No water in it that I can tell. But when I change the filter and clean the screen if there's a lot of crud in them the oil will get changed too.
Eric

/ YM2310 dragging brakes? #5  
If it was a new to me Machine I'd just change the hydro fluid. Black Friday TSC will have their Premium Trans/hydraulic tractor fluid on sale for I think I saw $37 or maybe it was $47..I think it's the lesser cause I think it's normally only $45-50.

My reasoning is you have no idea what's in there. For all you know it might be just straight hydraulic oil like AW32?? If you do it and get a fresh baseline and you keep the machine covered depending on your useage and how much you like to change fluids get away with 10 years or more before you put 500 hours on that tractor which I think is what it says the service life is. Again like I said your basically doing everything but adding the new fluid so it's just $50. You will have to catch your current oil for re use in a clean bucket to get the screen out.

/ YM2310 dragging brakes?
If it was a new to me Machine I'd just change the hydro fluid. Black Friday TSC will have their Premium Trans/hydraulic tractor fluid on sale for I think I saw $37 or maybe it was $47..I think it's the lesser cause I think it's normally only $45-50.

My reasoning is you have no idea what's in there. For all you know it might be just straight hydraulic oil like AW32?? If you do it and get a fresh baseline and you keep the machine covered depending on your useage and how much you like to change fluids get away with 10 years or more before you put 500 hours on that tractor which I think is what it says the service life is. Again like I said your basically doing everything but adding the new fluid so it's just $50. You will have to catch your current oil for re use in a clean bucket to get the screen out.
I appreciate your advice. I just have a thing about being wasteful. I see so much waste around me that I try to get the most out of anything. But if I broke my 40 year old tractor before it got to 60 years old just because I didn't change the oil sooner that would be wasteful too. And there is a TSC an hour away.
Eric

/ YM2310 dragging brakes? #7  
X2 on changing the fluid. It is cheap insurance.

I understand about not being wasteful. If you recycle the old oil, it won't be wasted. I think that recycling the tractor before its time would be a waste.

All the best,

Peter

/ YM2310 dragging brakes? #8  
I'm cheap so I use recycled oil often. Old Hyd. fluid comes in handy to get rusted things loose with. Stuck nuts/bolts etc..... let the used sit in a bucked and use the top Quarts. Yanmar Eng. oil works great for my oil useing push mower. Learned that one yrs. ago.
Just came up about keeping something. And sure enough 12yrs. later somone needed it. A rice patty tiller shaft. Not a big demand in the US.. EPTM sorry about the welds if you even want to call them that. I lost most use of my prominent R. hand. I knew better than let that out LOL........ Haven't heard anything so I appreciate that!!

Last edited: