You and your tractors first defeat?????

/ You and your tractors first defeat????? #11  
I and my L3000DT were easily defeated by what looked to me like a small scrub alder. Couldn't have been more that 3" diameter. Prior to that, I had no idea trees could be so vindictive.

At first I thought I'd just push it over. I made the Sign of the Cross, bumped it, jarred my teeth a little, and it grinned at me somehow. This also caused my wife to laugh at me. Son of a.

Then I tried a chain on the bucket, but that just scraped the bark off. (That made me feel a little better, having injured him at least.) Then I sat and thunk for a while, and spent an hour digging it out with the backhoe. I burned him as a message to the other trees. They are still there, growing like, well, weeds.

/ You and your tractors first defeat????? #12  
I'll bite. It's a bit humilliating just thinking about it, so I usually don't.

First day on my first ever tractor. The Plant Manager asked me if I could remove a circle of yucca plants with a weedy looking 2" hickory sapling growing out of the center.

My first thought - pluck that sapling out with the FEL. Hitched a chain around the bucket and only managed to lift the rear wheels off the ground. My first lesson in the importance of proper ballasting for the job, but I wasn't taking notes at the time.

Not willing to have my new beast outdone by a weed tree I turned around and hitched the chain to the drawbar and proceded to dig two very deep ruts in the drought savaged lawn with my sharp, new R1s. About this time the Plant Manager was wailing at me to "Stop!", which I did, although reluctantly - she probably saved my life.

Went to the toolshed and brought back a shovel. Dug down around the taproot about 18" - it didn't get any smaller. Thinking that it must go clear to China, I snipped it with loppers, threw a rock on top, filled the hole and tried to forget about the whole shameful episode.

-Jim

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ You and your tractors first defeat????? #13  
It made me wonder what was the first thing others ran into when their new tractor got stymied? Any takers?

Meanwhile I will figure out another way to *!##*! that **!#**! rock.

Bill

Pretty much every time I come up with another property improvement idea :D I doubt there would be a machine big enough for some of my thoughts :p

/ You and your tractors first defeat????? #14  
Yep, larger tools are not always better. No pun intended. It surprises me now quick I can remove a large stump with a power come-a-long, shovel, and sawzall with long wood cutting blade (12 Pruning blade, get a few the soil kills the blades fast).

Of course a CAT 325 Excavator would be way bigger and better!!!

/ You and your tractors first defeat????? #15  
But It made me wonder what was the first thing others ran into when their new tractor got stymied? Any takers?

nothing yet.. :cool:

Meanwhile I will figure out another way to *!##*! that **!#**! rock.

Bill

dexpan!!!! or tnt!! :D

/ You and your tractors first defeat????? #16  
Not a defeat, but more like a hard won success story. I don't like to lose so I dug a ramp to drag this outta the hole, but once out the Kubota couldn't push it.
Not sure of the stump weight but when I tried to lift it with the skid steer the back end went up and the bucket stayed on the ground. I ended up rolling it with the skid steer. It has more powerful hydraulics then the L35.
It was interesting lifting an edge of a few thousand pound stump, balancing it by moving forward while lifting til it rolls away.. very good practice for gaining skid steer skill.

Attachments

• steph stump.jpg
    steph stump.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 5-24-09%20024.jpg
    5-24-09%20024.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 133
  • ss stump roll.jpg
    ss stump roll.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 134
   / You and your tractors first defeat????? #17  
I'll bet that went every bit of 3307lbs!

/ You and your tractors first defeat????? #18  
Well, I sought to lift a concrete drain culvert...no go. Then, I read about getting the pressure relief valve adjusted...dealer discovered the valve was set low and raised pressure to just a tad over spec. Made the difference between can and can't. Now I can lift it about 1 foot before relief valve pops. Weight is about 2800 lbs. Shown at max lift. I drive kinda slow with it.

DSCI0161.JPG

Turns out there is a corner fence post captured inside all that concrete. the concrete enclosure really helps... so far I have not had any corner post so protected rot, pull out of the ground, tip. Of course, it's really hard to drive staples into it