Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it?

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #31  
Was he able to remain solvent?
Ha. I bet self-insured back then really meant uninsured. Today self-insured mostly means a company has a high deductible. That deductible may be in the millions. Even major national insurance companies buy insurance called reinsurance for catastrophic events like
hurricanes.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it?
Even major national insurance companies buy insurance called reinsurance for catastrophic events like
hurricanes.
That's one element of Warren Buffet's fortune, re-insurance to stand behind the retail insurance companies. See General Re.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #33  
I don't know how they splice fiber, but I have seen a trailer that's set up for it. There's a special setup that brings the fiber cable inside the trailer, I assume that it's a controlled environment to some extent and it a slow tedious process.
I'd like to know if someone reads this that knows.
I have spliced my share of fiber optic cable. I used a Hitachi machine. Didn't have a trailer but you can't do it in windy dusty conditions. There is some prep work, (stripping, cleaving etc. ) but the machine does the welding of the glass, and it aligns it too with its own built in algorithm. It also strength tests the weld and heats the little splice brace (tiny metal rod inside a piece of heat shrink tubing. Of course there are many different processes, but that is what I was involved in, and I done a bunch "back in the day"

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #34  
When I had to mess with Fiber splices, we actually polished them by hand. It’s been a while.
You did that to put on "ends" like say ST or FC or something, but in later years we fusion spliced with automatic machines, and even if we were terminating, it was much cheaper and about 100 times faster to buy pre made ends (cheap) than grind and polish (using figure 8 method) and just fusion splice them on. The $40,000 machine did all the critical work, we just had to cleave the ends square. I am sure those machines I used are totally obsolete by now and probably 400 dollars now not 40,000. :)

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #35  
Green to Green, Orange to Orange. What's the BIG DEAL?

Heard once of a dozer trenching in fiber through wet lands. Kind of flipped on it's side, causing damage to the fiber a great distance away.

/ Your Internet went down? I wonder what caused it? #36  
I did not say he was uninsured, I said SELF INSURED, A contractor is allowed to provide self insurance with bonding and other secured assets. It is considerably cheaper than purchasing insurance unless you screw up!