Z421 mower, no grease fittings?

/ Z421 mower, no grease fittings? #1  

buckeyefarmer

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4 BX23
It appears this mower has sealed spindles, anyone have experience in their wear?

/ Z421 mower, no grease fittings? #2  
I put sealed bearings in my mower after the other ones wore out. I figure most bearings nowadays are sealed so it should be fine. After I took my what used to be a greased spindle apart and saw how it worked I decided the sealed bearings were probably better.

Last edited:
   / Z421 mower, no grease fittings?
Thanks,
Ive had to replace at least 3 greasable spindles on my KK RFM, so i guess you're right, they might be better.

/ Z421 mower, no grease fittings? #4  
Thanks,
Ive had to replace at least 3 greasable spindles on my KK RFM, so i guess you're right, they might be better.

I'm not sure the fact that the greasable ones are low quality automatically means the sealed ones are high quality. That's not good logic - they might also be low quality. :)

/ Z421 mower, no grease fittings? #5  
It doesn't mean that one is a better quality than the other. What it means is that dirt, water or late greasing won't be ruining a sealed bearing thus making it last longer. That is why everyone has switched to sealed bearings.

/ Z421 mower, no grease fittings? #6  
It doesn't mean that one is a better quality than the other. What it means is that dirt, water or late greasing won't be ruining a sealed bearing thus making it last longer. That is why everyone has switched to sealed bearings.

you pretty much hit the nail on the head! We have commercial mowers with sealed bearings and the manufacturer stands behind them for five years! The other side of the equation is for the millennial! Where can I buy a grease gun and grease and how does it work!!!

/ Z421 mower, no grease fittings? #7  
Thanks,

I had to replace our old JD 300 mower deck spindle bearings every once in awhile, until about 20 years ago I bought a hydraulic press for my shop and started using it for bearing replacement.
It made a huge difference for the bearing life!

Prior to that it was hammers, punches etc. whatever was available.

:eek:

Well, i bought the mower, will find out how well the no grease spindles work.