Mowing ZD326 Wouldn't stop and now won't start.

/ ZD326 Wouldn't stop and now won't start. #1  

RonnieB2018

Tractor
zd326
ZD326P
Issues began when the mower wouldn't shut off. Used the manual fuel shut off to stop the mower. Went to mow a few days later and the instrument panel was working (guages) and the fuel pump was energized. '
When the key was turned the glow plug light came on, but the starter never energized.
Checked continuity through the different key switch positions, all worked except the one labeled "ST" which went to the starter. Replaced ignition switch.
Turned the key, but nothing changed.
Double checked all safety positions. All good.
Jumped the starter with a screwdriver and it fired up fine.
At this point I began running through all of the safeties, but never found an issue.
Did the same with the fuses under the seat and the inline fuse going to the starter, still no issue.
Once I found the wiring diagrams I began to track wire by wire.
Tracked to the controller and the wire fell out of the wiring plug that connects to the controller.
Went to local kubota dealer. Tried to purchase a new contact for the plug, but was told that they didn't sell components, only a full wiring harness. Their "best guess" was a full wiring harness for 170.00. I asked if this was not the right part (as there was no picture) could I return it? "Yes, but with a restocking fee of 15%." I was blown away at this, so I called Kubota's hotline to see if I could find out more information about the controller's logic (if the power that this wire supplied fed something non-essential I didn't want to keep troubleshooting this wire when the mower wouldn't start) and if I could verify this harness, or buy a similar plug. They offered no help with the controller, couldn't be 100% sure that it was the correct wiring harness, and "didn't have a clue where to get just a plug."

Went to HR Agriculture, where they were able to provide a handful of different leads with pre-crimped contacts. Found one that was nearly identical in size, so I shoved it into the harness, flipped the key and it's now running.

Does anyone have any insight on Kubota's Controller? Even the WSM has very little information. I can make educated guesses for most of it, but a document to add to my notes would be even better. Attached is a picture of the wire, so that was if anyone else runs into this thinking they have an issue with the safeties, stop relay, starter, or any number of components they can keep this in mind.

1.JPG
5 - PTO Switch
17 - Controller

/ ZD326 Wouldn't stop and now won't start. #2  
Engine Does Not Stop When Main Switch Is Turned OFF
Fuse blown (20 A) - Replace - G-42
Wiring harness disconnected or improperly connected (between main switch AC terminal and engine stop solenoid) - Repair or replace - 5-M1
Engine stop solenoid damaged - Check and replace - 5-S11
Controller damaged - Replace

Engine Does Not Start
Engine stop solenoid damaged - Check and replace - 5-S11
Controller damaged - Replace

/ ZD326 Wouldn't stop and now won't start.
Hey Mikester,

Thanks for the response, but I did get it running. I know the post is a lot to read through, but after I replaced the contact going into the plug that connects to the controller it started. I mainly posted so that it would help anyone that gets stuck after checking safeties because that 20 amp fuse either supplies the controller with operating voltage, or a required input to run. I couldn't find much, other than a wiring diagram, about the controller.
I came across another post that mentioned that after the key switch is turned off, a 10 second off delay timer kills the fuel. (from the controller) It would be great to break down the controllers "logic."

/ ZD326 Wouldn't stop and now won't start. #4  
If your wiring harness appears ok, your fuses in-tact and the solenoid is ok then it sounds like a controller problem.

Unfortunately the controller is a black box...the shop manual just says replace if damaged. How much is a new controller?

Have you tried cleaning all the contacts and checking continuity?

Did you read my post? I'm not trying to be mean, but I feel like you didn't read all the way through the post. I mentioned all of the problems it gave me, how I fixed it, and included a picture of the wire that broke.

/ ZD326 Wouldn't stop and now won't start. #6  
Did you read my post? I'm not trying to be mean, but I feel like you didn't read all the way through the post. I mentioned all of the problems it gave me, how I fixed it, and included a picture of the wire that broke.

What's your question?

ZD326P

Went to HR Agriculture, where they were able to provide a handful of different leads with pre-crimped contacts. Found one that was nearly identical in size, so I shoved it into the harness, flipped the key and it's now running.

Does anyone have any insight on Kubota's Controller? Even the WSM has very little information. I can make educated guesses for most of it, but a document to add to my notes would be even better. Attached is a picture of the wire, so that was if anyone else runs into this thinking they have an issue with the safeties, stop relay, starter, or any number of components they can keep this in mind.

View attachment 562172
5 - PTO Switch
17 - Controller

It was meant to be an informational post. In case someone was stuck troubleshooting.
The only question that I had was whether anyone knew of how the controller actually operates... or what it does.

/ ZD326 Wouldn't stop and now won't start. #8  
Thanks for this post. I have the same problem but not a wire. Just ordered the controller, $232 from Kubota. Ruled out everything else, so I hope that fixes it. The 10amp fuse for the controller was blown but still did not work after replacing it. What happened to start this all off is...my dogs were trying to get a chipmunk that was hiding under or in the mower somewhere. They just started grabbing at anything they could get their teeth on. Unfortunately, they got a hold of the wires coming from starter area. I think when I started the machine without noticing the exposed wiring, some may have shorted out the fuse and possibly the control box. I thought that by bypassing the seat switch, I would be bypassing the control box but apparently not. I had to bypass one of the relays in order to start it and have to manually shut the fuel solenoid to turn it off. Hope replacing the control box takes care of the problems.

/ ZD326 Wouldn't stop and now won't start. #9  
I have a similar issue with my Zd326p. After running it and getting it to operating temperature sometimes it will not start back up. The starter clicks and you can watch the Bendix start to come out but does not fully engage in the flywheel nor does the bendix spin. I checked the trigger wire voltage when cranking and I have 8.6 volts. (Battery voltage is at 12.20 when cranking) I checked continuity on the trigger wire which goes to the relay and it is good, I also checked continuity from the supply wire of the relay to a connector that looks like goes to the key switch and was good. I swapped relays and still same issue. I also noticed that at idle the battery is only charging at 12.8 volts and full throttle it slowly climbs to 14volts. I can jump the starter and fires right up. It only acts up when it gets to operating temperature. Is there something I should look further into like the controller?

/ ZD326 Wouldn't stop and now won't start. #10  
ZD326P
Issues began when the mower wouldn't shut off. Used the manual fuel shut off to stop the mower. Went to mow a few days later and the instrument panel was working (guages) and the fuel pump was energized. '
When the key was turned the glow plug light came on, but the starter never energized.
Checked continuity through the different key switch positions, all worked except the one labeled "ST" which went to the starter. Replaced ignition switch.
Turned the key, but nothing changed.
Double checked all safety positions. All good.
Jumped the starter with a screwdriver and it fired up fine.
At this point I began running through all of the safeties, but never found an issue.
Did the same with the fuses under the seat and the inline fuse going to the starter, still no issue.
Once I found the wiring diagrams I began to track wire by wire.
Tracked to the controller and the wire fell out of the wiring plug that connects to the controller.
Went to local kubota dealer. Tried to purchase a new contact for the plug, but was told that they didn't sell components, only a full wiring harness. Their "best guess" was a full wiring harness for 170.00. I asked if this was not the right part (as there was no picture) could I return it? "Yes, but with a restocking fee of 15%." I was blown away at this, so I called Kubota's hotline to see if I could find out more information about the controller's logic (if the power that this wire supplied fed something non-essential I didn't want to keep troubleshooting this wire when the mower wouldn't start) and if I could verify this harness, or buy a similar plug. They offered no help with the controller, couldn't be 100% sure that it was the correct wiring harness, and "didn't have a clue where to get just a plug."

View attachment 562172
5 - PTO Switch
17 - Controller
I know that this is an OLD thread, but I'm having similar issues. This is the only diagram I have found. Do you happen to have the key for it? or where can i find it? THANK YOU!