Zen-Noh 2210B Oil Filter Puzzle

/ Zen-Noh 2210B Oil Filter Puzzle #1  

Florida_Farmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
841 Powermaster, TC33D, TC40 DA, Yanmar 1500, Yanmar 2210B, Scag Turf Tiger, Exmark 72" Lazer Z
Got the new oil filters from Hoye yesterday and went out to change the oil but have no idea how to get the old oil filter off as there is a factory bracket flush against the back of it.

Is there a simple way around this that I'm overlooking? Looks like there is also a drain plug for the radiator built into the same bracket. I see a couple of bolts but maybe a couple more hiding somewhere - just doesn't make sense that from the factory they would block a normal maintenance item..

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    695.2 KB · Views: 121
   / Zen-Noh 2210B Oil Filter Puzzle #2  
Got the new oil filters from Hoye yesterday and went out to change the oil but have no idea how to get the old oil filter off as there is a factory bracket flush against the back of it.

Is there a simple way around this that I'm overlooking? Looks like there is also a drain plug for the radiator built into the same bracket. I see a couple of bolts but maybe a couple more hiding somewhere - just doesn't make sense that from the factory they would block a normal maintenance item..

Ugh!
That looks impossible!

/ Zen-Noh 2210B Oil Filter Puzzle #4  
Might be easier to remove the engine first :D

/ Zen-Noh 2210B Oil Filter Puzzle #5  
I see a couple of bolts but maybe a couple more hiding somewhere - just doesn't make sense that from the factory they would block a normal maintenance item..

I agree. There are a few other Yanmar models like that where you have to unbolt a shield in order to remove the filter. Not ideal for sure. The filter you received should fit though once you remove that shield.

/ Zen-Noh 2210B Oil Filter Puzzle #6  
Yea, clearly you have to remove that plate to get filter off. This is the worst thing I have seen from yanmar yet!:confused3:

/ Zen-Noh 2210B Oil Filter Puzzle #7  
I believe there is a long and short version of filters that fit your 2210B and you need the short version. Such as this: https://ph.baldwinfilters.com/baldwin/en/baldwin-spin-on-lube-filters/b179
Yes. Yanmar used the near-universal Honda/Subaru/Everything filter mount pattern and there are many suitable replacements.

Since we crank Yanmars with compression released until we see oil pressure, a filter's drainback spec is irrelevant. Bypass spec is for people who run a filter until its clogged. :D Micron size filtration should match OEM.

A longer filter like what's on there is better but there are compatible sizes down to extremely short. I used to read a Subaru group and one year WRX (sporty coupe) switched to a very short equivalent filter, maybe 1.5 inches, simply for ground clearance. Everybody complained.

My YM240 manual says you can change the oil filter at every second oil change. So a shorter filter on this 2210 should be ok if you replace it at each oil change. But is that plate easy to remove, indicating that a long filter was intended, or does it look like it was made for a shorter OEM filter originally?

Or could this be a FrankensteinMar using a bracket that came off something else? The notch cut out for the filter - manufactured, or crude, might be a clue.

At any rate this unique bracket looks like a minor nuisance, not really a problem.

/ Zen-Noh 2210B Oil Filter Puzzle #8  
That looks like a pia. Once you get it off maybe look at a filter relocation kit..............Mike

/ Zen-Noh 2210B Oil Filter Puzzle #9  
Is it just me or is that bracket just there for the block drain to mount to?
If that is the only purpose, would it not be easier to relocate that drain port?
In the pictures I can not see further back, but I could see some mods that would take little creativity for relocation of that port.
Might be a good excuse for fresh coolant.

/ Zen-Noh 2210B Oil Filter Puzzle #10  
I think it might also have some kind of support for the side panel but I'm not sure. Seems like they could have found a less obtrusive way to do that though.

1.JPG