Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle?

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #1  

Rdrcr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST 4WD w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 S KW (Current), B2601 Kubota (Sold), E170 John Deere (Sold)
I recently purchased a new Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 S KW and I’m trying to figure out what RPM or throttle amount I should be applying when I mow. The ZT is equipped with the 852cc Kawasaki FX850v engine.

Anybody have an idea of what RPM and/or throttle application I should be using for mowing?

Thanks,

Mike

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #2  
Doesn't the owner's manual say anything about it? If not, I'd be very surprised if anything but WOT is recommended for mowing with a zero turn (much like any mower).

ETA: Looked at the manual - it says in the "Operating the PTO" section: "Advance the throttle lever to the operating
speed (full engine speed)."

Rob

Last edited:
   / Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #3  
Wide open.

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #5  
All the Z turns I have owned have the one setting for mowing: WOT. When going from point A to B while not mowing you can throttle back to a more comfortable setting if you want. Enjoy your new CC Pro Z.

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #6  
I agree with the wide open comments, although I do occasionally mow at reduced throttle on my diesel zero turns.
One thing that deserves mentioning is that most mowers I have used, particularly with electric clutches, is that the blades are generally engaged at mid throttle then advanced to wide open.
YMMV

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #7  
Ditto on mowing at WOT and starting and stopping the blades at 50%. Saves the blade clutch.

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #8  
I recently purchased a new Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 S KW and I’m trying to figure out what RPM or throttle amount I should be applying when I mow. The ZT is equipped with the 852cc Kawasaki FX850v engine.

Anybody have an idea of what RPM and/or throttle application I should be using for mowing?

Thanks,

Mike
Run that sucker wide open, Mike. The engine will govern itself to maintain the proper speed to keep those blade tip speeds up and the hydraulics happy and snappy :)

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #9  
I agree with the wide open comments, although I do occasionally mow at reduced throttle on my diesel zero turns.
One thing that deserves mentioning is that most mowers I have used, particularly with electric clutches, is that the blades are generally engaged at mid throttle then advanced to wide open.
YMMV
I engage mine just above an idle. The electric PTO clutch is just like the ac clutch on your car. A driven plate with brake material and a drive plate. Engaging it at RPM hastens the wear on the friction material and wears it out faster and you don't want to replace that clutch because none of them are cheap.

Just replaced the one on my M60 Tank and it was 250 bucks.

Guy across the road has a Husky and winds the engine up and engages the blades. Bet he stops doing that when it's clutch time.

Again, WOT is maximum governed rpm, usually around 3600. The higher the rpm, the faster the blade tip speed is, the better the blades cut and the engine cools too. Remember, they are air cooled, least both of mine are. I'd love to have a Kubota diesel but alas, I cannot afford the price of admission.

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #10  
The electric PTO clutch is just like the ac clutch on your car. A driven plate with brake material and a drive plate.
Not really. All the A/C clutches I've seen (hundreds) and PTO clutches (a lot) have all been metal to metal. There's no brake material at all. The electro magnet draws the plates together so fast, there's very little slip--if any. A/C clutches will last the life of the car/truck unless over heated and burned (rare). Electro magnetic clutches are either on or off--They are not made to slip.

The manual for my 2021 Bad Boy Maverick specifically states to engage the PTO at full throttle. There's less shock to the engine, which for me makes more sense than saving the price of drive belt. ;)

But do what your manual states.