Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle?

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle?
Gentlemen, thank you!

Yes, the engine manual states to run the engine at full throttle, I just wanted to confirm that this is the way to go. I appreciate all the feedback!

Thanks again,

Mike

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #12  
There is on mine Cub Cadet, I know, I just replaced it. There is even a wear clearance listed for it and my ac clutch(s ) in my Ford and in my GM both have friction material.
\
Interesting. My old boss had a Big Boy and traded it off. Said it was a rough riding POS.

Follow your manual, I'll use common sense.

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #13  
Well, mine is a Bad Boy. It rides so smooth, I nearly fall asleep on it. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe your old boss has a POS yard. :giggle:

And neither of my Fords or GMs have clutch material in the A/C compressors. So I don't know what you got.

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #14  
My Country Clipper manual also said to engage the blades at full throttle, right from the git-go. Automotive a/c clutches engage/disengage constantly at speed as the temp control system controls the compressor while you're driving. When you turn your a/c on it's not "on and done" until you turn it off. If you are a little low on refrigerant the clutch will cycle even more often. Unless it's occurred in the past couple of years since I retired, automotive a/c clutches were always metal to metal and always susceptible to dirt, water, oils, etc. in normal operating environment. A little bit of trivia - back in the early '70s those A6 compressors on Cadillacs took right at 12 hp to operate the a/c system !!

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #15  
I agree with the wide open comments, although I do occasionally mow at reduced throttle on my diesel zero turns.
One thing that deserves mentioning is that most mowers I have used, particularly with electric clutches, is that the blades are generally engaged at mid throttle then advanced to wide open.
YMMV

Interestingly, on my new Bad Boy Rogue zero-turn the dealer told me the manufacturer recommendation is to throttle up to WOT before engaging the PTO. He said it avoids belt/pulley flopping that happens when starting at lower RPM, which is tough on parts. Sure enough, the manual confirms that:

3.11 Increase RPM by sliding the throttle control to fast position.
3.12 Always engage PTO at full throttle.

I've always been of the mind to engage the PTO at part throttle and throttle up on other equipment, but they likely wouldn't make this statement if they didn't have a reason so on the Rogue I'll follow manufacturer advice.

Rob

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #16  
Interestingly, on my new Bad Boy Rogue zero-turn the dealer told me the manufacturer recommendation is to throttle up to WOT before engaging the PTO. He said it avoids belt/pulley flopping that happens when starting at lower RPM, which is tough on parts. Sure enough, the manual confirms that:

3.11 Increase RPM by sliding the throttle control to fast position.
3.12 Always engage PTO at full throttle.

I've always been of the mind to engage the PTO at part throttle and throttle up on other equipment, but they likely wouldn't make this statement if they didn't have a reason so on the Rogue I'll follow manufacturer advice.

Rob

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #17  
I was just wondering about the shock to the belts if it's worse at full throttle or half

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #18  
My Hustler X-One manual says to engage the blades at 2/3 throttle and then advance to full power. It says to never disengage the blades at full throttle, but throttle down to 1/2. So different manufacturers have different instructions. Check your manual.

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #19  
I was just wondering about the shock to the belts if it's worse at full throttle or half

Hard to say. I just assume that a manufacturer knows a little about their equipment so if they recommend something I try to follow it. Sometimes 'conventional wisdom' doesn't apply universally or gets outdated.

Rob

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #20  
My new Cub Cadet ZT2 54" manual says very specifically to engage the electric PTO at full throttle. To state that as standard operating procedure they must have a reason for it. I don't know what that reason is but it seems to be common across several brands according to this thread so that is what I intend to keep doing. It does not feel particularly violent at all.

And as others have mentioned the manual says to mow at full throttle and I've read that not doing so can cause problems. I'm guessing one of which is overheating,