Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle?

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #31  
In another thread I started about belt wear that I was getting with a new Z turn I mentioned that I slo-mo videoed my mower deck belts while the PTO was being engaged. At medium throttle there was tremendous belt whip and it jumps all the way out of the grove of the center spindle pulley and looks like it could have come off. At full throttle the belt whips a little but never jumps away from the pulley.

My manual makes it very clear to engage PTO at full throttle. The dealer confirmed this and went on to say that there is a clutch in the PTO that does not slip when the PTO is engaged at lower throttle so all the energy is transmitted to the belt. At full throttle this clutch slips a little. I have no idea if this makes sense but 1) I have no reason to doubt him and 2) my little video experiment confirms that lower throttle PTO engagement is far more violent on the belts than full throttle engagement.

I was asked to post the videos here but you cannot directly upload video to TBN (which is understandable) and I do not participate in any of the hosting (social media) services allowed here (or any other social media for that matter). Sorry.

I did post a still image showing the belt jumping away from the center spindle pulley.

Last edited:
   / Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #32  
I told my wife that we would be engaging the PTO at full throttle (deck still lifted) from now on - beginning next mowing. She told me to get a life and get off the Internet for tonight. I think she was kidding though?

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #33  
I was asked to post the videos here but you cannot directly upload video to TBN (which is understandable) and I do not participate in any of the hosting (social media) services allowed here (or any other social media for that matter). Sorry.
You can make an Imgur.com account for free, dont need to participate on it, and make all your pic/video uploads private when you upload. Its what I use. Just use the 'from URL' option when posting here on TBN.

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #34  
I told my wife that we would be engaging the PTO at full throttle (deck still lifted) from now on - beginning next mowing. She told me to get a life and get off the Internet for tonight. I think she was kidding though?
nice hat!

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #35  
I've decided to drive mine like I stole it...WOT running and WOT engage and disengage deck. Anything less than that would irratate the snot out of me.

/ Zero Turn w/ Kawasaki FX850v: Mowing RPM / Full Throttle? #36  
Well after 3+ inches of rain and high humidity this week in west central PA (including rain today) the grass is "high enough to tickle the udders on a cow" so I'm turning the wife loose tomorrow and telling her to mow everything that's green. WOT all the way. I'll be working on the latest Stihl 028 and waiting for her to finish so I can scrap the mower deck. I'm looking forward to it too!