ZT deck belt frayed.

/ ZT deck belt frayed.
Update: Was mowing this weekend. Everything going great but started to hear a slight thrumming noise coming from the deck. Also thought I smelled hot rubber (but maybe not).

Stopped, looked underneath and the deck belt was almost completely destroyed.

Rather than pulling the deck off and trying to figure things out myself I took it back to the dealer (which is an hour away). It is under warranty and only has 15 hours on it. It has eaten two belts.

I'm worried because I cannot see anything that would destroy a belt that fast and if the dealer can't find the problem I'm not sure what I will do. Hoping he won't charge me for a new belt since it is considered a "wear item".

Will update when I find out what the verdict is.

/ ZT deck belt frayed. #12  
Sounds to me like there is something (pulley or idler) out of alignment and I bet he charges you for s new belt as it's considered a consumable item.

/ ZT deck belt frayed.
Sounds to me like there is something (pulley or idler) out of alignment and I bet he charges you for s new belt as it's considered a consumable item.
He might charge me for it. If he does I will pay for it. But he'll get a polite ear full and a bad review. For whatever either of those are worth. In my mind if a manufacturing defect leads to a premature failure of a consumable then Cub Cadet should eat that cost.

/ ZT deck belt frayed. #14  
He might charge me for it. If he does I will pay for it. But he'll get a polite ear full and a bad review. For whatever either of those are worth. In my mind if a manufacturing defect leads to a premature failure of a consumable then Cub Cadet should eat that cost.

I agree that the dealer should cover the belt under warranty, but if they find and fix the problem I would be willing to eat the belt.
Good luck.

/ ZT deck belt frayed.
I agree that the dealer should cover the belt under warranty, but if they find and fix the problem I would be willing to eat the belt.
Good luck.
I probably would too. We’ll see.

/ ZT deck belt frayed. #16  
If he's a good dealer and finds the issue he'll probably replace the belt gratis. I think it is a good test to see if he IS a good dealer with good service. If he can't find issue, that might be an issue.....

/ ZT deck belt frayed. #17  
Good luck.
I would think that digesting a belt would lead to serious heartburn. Maybe constipation as well..... Just say'in.

/ ZT deck belt frayed.
If he can't find issue, that might be an issue.....
That's my biggest fear. Then what? I hate selling a defective machine to someone else. Maybe trade it back in to the dealer for something else. But I think Cub Cadet are the only Z turns he carries. Maybe one of their higher lines?

/ ZT deck belt frayed. #19  
When the warranty issue is found and repaired MTD would also cover the belt as an accessory damaged item. I suspect that a belt guide is rubbing the belt or has an issue with a pulley. I have seen paint on the pulleys cause issues with belt damage because the paint didn't wear off evenly.

/ ZT deck belt frayed.
I did check the belt guides/retainers and I did not see rubbing there.