how to add air to tractor rear tires with ballast

/ how to add air to tractor rear tires with ballast #1  

bfknouse

Tractor
Ferguson F40
I have a Massy F40 with rear tires that have ballast what is the correct way to add air?

/ how to add air to tractor rear tires with ballast #2  
Its easier to do when the valves are at the 12 o’clock position.

/ how to add air to tractor rear tires with ballast #4  
Its easier to do when the valves are at the 12 o’clock position.

^^^^^This. You may get a little wet but it won't take much air at all since most of the tire is filled with ballast and you can't compress it.

/ how to add air to tractor rear tires with ballast #5  
I had my tires filled and tried to check the pressure. Even with the valve stem at 12 0'clock I got wet. It turns out one tire was over filled. I simply took the hose off a hand pump, attached it to the valve stem and drained about a gallon of fluid into a pail. Now both tires can be checked and adjusted 'dry'. I leave the gallon in my unheated garage in a container and shake it on cold winter days to see if it is getting slushy. Also, I used a cheap pressure gauge that first time - glad I did not fill my digital gauge with antifreeze.

/ how to add air to tractor rear tires with ballast #6  
Either use an air gauge that can take water or use the Harbor Freight one that I like that has a long extension on it with built in gauge. Just blow any moisture out when finished.

Ralph

Attachments

• Tire inflator.JPG
    Tire inflator.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 117
   / how to add air to tractor rear tires with ballast #7  
Some say to give the tire valve a blast of air to clear it of juice before using a tire gauge so that gauge doesn't get contaminated.

/ how to add air to tractor rear tires with ballast #8  
I have a Massy F40 with rear tires that have ballast what is the correct way to add air?

Everyone, thanks for the tips as I have been sprayed with "beet juice" a few times (pretty sticky).

Does it help any to jack up the tire off of the ground or is that a waste of time and effort?

KC

/ how to add air to tractor rear tires with ballast
Thanks it worked