Tire pressure with a Counterweight?

/ Tire pressure with a Counterweight? #1  

kenlip

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100 with Challenge FEL and 4:1
Kubota MX5100, with loaded tyres.

I have built a counterweight that weighs 800kg (1,760lbs) with its centre of gravity 475mm (19") behind the pins.

Do I need to alter the pressures in the rear tyres and, if so, by how much?

Any other advice?

/ Tire pressure with a Counterweight? #2  
I have a Kubota M6040. It has Rim Guard loaded rear tires and a 1050# Rhino rear blade on the 3-point. In total the tractor weighs - 10,100#. I would guess that the rear tires are at 16# air pressure.

It's been years since I actually put an air pressure gauge on the rear tires. In the spring - I roll the tractor out on the beginning of my driveway. It's a hard, dry mix of gravel, sand & volcanic ash. I check to see that both tires leave a COMPLETE chevron pattern. All the way across both tires. Visually check that both tires have the same sidewall bulge. I'm ready to go ............

If things don't look right - most likely a overly bulgy sidewall - then the 12 '0 clock check with my tire gage. I've not had to do this in seven years.

My rear tires are - 16.9 x 28. Six ply. The Op Manual suggests 18# air pressure. I like around 16# better. The fronts I run at 30#. All my tires are R-1.

/ Tire pressure with a Counterweight? #3  
I have a Kubota M6040. It has Rim Guard loaded rear tires and a 1050# Rhino rear blade on the 3-point. In total the tractor weighs - 10,100#. I would guess that the rear tires are at 16# air pressure.

It's been years since I actually put an air pressure gauge on the rear tires. In the spring - I roll the tractor out on the beginning of my driveway. It's a hard, dry mix of gravel, sand & volcanic ash. I check to see that both tires leave a COMPLETE chevron pattern. All the way across both tires. Visually check that both tires have the same sidewall bulge. I'm ready to go ............

If things don't look right - most likely a overly bulgy sidewall - then the 12 '0 clock check with my tire gage. I've not had to do this in seven years.

Exactly. I always tell customers that if a rear tractor tire looks soft, it probably is. If the outside edges of the bars don't contact the ground they are overinflated. Correct tire pressure is dependent on the load carried. For that reason published rear tire inflation numbers are a vague suggestion at best. Bias tires should show a slight bulge at the bottom, radial tires moreso. Rear R4 tires are easily overinflated because of the huge surface area they have relative to the weight they carry.

/ Tire pressure with a Counterweight? #4  
This is the best description of how to set the tire pressure I've heard. You want enough to keep the tire from coming off the rim and not more than the max pressure. Only time I use a pressure gauge is on the front tires when I'm going to be using the loader at or near it's maximum capacity.