Ford 7.3L Gas Engine

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #171  
You think a 2.7L has 250K miles of trailer towing in it's life?

Well,,,, does a 2.7L have 250K miles in it's life regardless what it's moving?

Actually, "yes". Ford's 2.7EB is one of the sturdiest engines Ford has designed. Stronger than the 5.0 Coyote.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #172  
Actually, "yes". Ford's 2.7EB is one of the sturdiest engines Ford has designed.

That is my unserstanding, Ford did not put a CGI block into the 2.7 eco without thought. CGI is what is in the 6.7 diesel block and the 7.3 gas. Built for strength.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #173  
That is my unserstanding, Ford did not put a CGI block into the 2.7 eco without thought. CGI is what is in the 6.7 diesel block and the 7.3 gas. Built for strength.

I always thought it was pretty stout. I am old school in my thinking, did a ton of research before buying this truck. I was torn over the 5.0 or EB. So far I am pleased. The 2.7 is a tough motor in my opinion.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #174  
I always thought it was pretty stout. I am old school in my thinking, did a ton of research before buying this truck. I was torn over the 5.0 or EB. So far I am pleased. The 2.7 is a tough motor in my opinion.

To quote a line from Charlie's War, "We shall see". :)

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #175  
I don't trust the ecoboost in towing situations. My friend has had multiple issues with his 3.5 equipped F150 that now has 150K. Last October he had to limp all the way home from a grouse hunting trip. He stopped at a dealer on his way back and they told him they would have to order parts so he limped home. The trip took me 7 hours and him 12

My wife's car has tiny ecoboost in it and it's fine. Not a single issue for 80k miles so as a commuter I wouldn't hesitate to have one in my car but in a truck that is supposed to haul trailers forget it

Last edited:
   / Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #176  
This was an article published in Automotive Engineering magazine prior to the release of the then-new 2015 F150 with the new 2.7L EB. It's a nice overview of the basic design & spec's of the engine (for 2015), to see how clearly "overbuilt" the engine is.

Ford's new 2.7-L EcoBoost V6 designed for lighter aluminum F-15

It seems Ford took a similar path with the new 7.3, with clean-sheet engineering based on intended usage.

Ford 2;) 7.3-L V8

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #177  
This was an article published in Automotive Engineering magazine prior to the release of the then-new 2015 F150 with the new 2.7L EB. It's a nice overview of the basic design & spec's of the engine (for 2015), to see how clearly "overbuilt" the engine is.

Ford's new 2.7-L EcoBoost V6 designed for lighter aluminum F-15

It seems Ford took a similar path with the new 7.3, with clean-sheet engineering based on intended usage.

Ford 22 7.3-L V8

Good read. Thanks.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #178  
I would say Ford is going more "old school" than "clean-sheet engineering" with the 7.3 gasser.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #180  
I don't trust the ecoboost in towing situations. My friend has had multiple issues with his 3.5 equipped F150 that now has 150K. Last October he had to limp all the way home from a grouse hunting trip. He stopped at a dealer on his way back and they told him they would have to order parts so he limped home. The trip took me 7 hours and him 12

My wife's car has tiny ecoboost in it and it's fine. Not a single issue for 80k miles so as a commuter I wouldn't hesitate to have one in my car but in a truck that is supposed to haul trailers forget it

Good friend of mine is a Ford certified mechanic and services all of our local PD and Sheriffs vehicles. He said the problem with the 3.5 is when people baby them and try to squeeze all the mpg they can out of them. ..He said the turbos waste gates can end up getting stuck from non use and that then triggers all sorts of computer and emissions issues. .. They need to be driven hammer down on a regular basis. He has crusers that have 100k hard ..meathead ..miles on them and they run like a top. He also said thy need clean oil..clean clean oil. OEM says oil changes at 7500 miles....he does them every 3k.