Oxygen/acetylene tank sizes

/ Oxygen/acetylene tank sizes #1  

vulcancowboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
I've been wanting to get some tanks bigger than the ones that came with my portable set. Yesterday I picked up a 75cf acetelyne tank for $20 at a yard sale, what is the correct size oxygen tank to pair with it?

/ Oxygen/acetylene tank sizes #2  
You really need to talk to the welding supply company that you plan on having fill the tanks. Around here, they only exchange tanks and they are very particular on what they will take.

/ Oxygen/acetylene tank sizes #3  
I have an 80 cubic foot acetylene bottle, along with a 250-cubic foot oxygen bottle.

Attachments

• cyl_sizes.jpg
    cyl_sizes.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 15,838
   / Oxygen/acetylene tank sizes #4  
I have a 75 acetylene and 150 oxygen. They usually run empty about the same time. I wouldn't want anything bigger. That thing is heavy and I got old somehow.

/ Oxygen/acetylene tank sizes #5  
I have a size 5 acetylene (360 cubic feet) and a "T" oxygen (300 CF) - you need that size acetylene tank to use even a relatively small rosebud for heating, or you'll exceed the (old) 1/7 of the tank volume per hour draw, and even moreso the (newer) recommended 1/10 of the tank volume per hour. If you're only using O/A for cutting or with regular welding tips, you can safely use smaller acetylene tanks -

http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Up...tting Tip Chart (0056-0411 Rev B)_Jul2011.pdf

Fuel your safety knowledge - TheFabricator.com

The last 51 years of my life came really close to never happening because a guy I thought knew what he was doing did NOT know this, so I for one take it VERY seriously... Steve

/ Oxygen/acetylene tank sizes #6  
I inherited a 100 cubic foot acetylene and 250 cubic foot oxygen tank from my dad. Usually your oxygen is double the size your acetylene. Last year I had to get a new certificated acetylene tank. No problem with my local welding supply company but some have had issues with personally owned tanks.