Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket

/ Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket #1  

drunderw

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 3110D
I have everything removed from the head and am down to trying to get it broken loose from the block to be able to replace the head gasket. I cannot seem to get it to budge. This is the first head gasket I've done so I was wondering if you all have any advice on getting those things to separate. I've taken a crowbar and pried against my loader and the edge of the head on one corner directly upward to no avail. I've attached some photos. Motor is a 3T84T-N.
0.jpg1.jpg2.jpg

/ Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket #2  
only advise I can give is. Make sure all head bolts have been removed. Then take a dead blow hammer to the edges of the head. it should pop loose

/ Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket #3  
On the two cylinder Yanmars there is one more head bolt down inside the intake passages. Could there be one more on yours?

/ Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket
Thanks! I'm pretty certain they're all out (8 of them plus 2 assist bolts) but I'll grab one of those hammers from Lowes tomorrow on the way home, double check regarding bolts, and then try hitting the edges and see what happens.

/ Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket #5  
looking at the diagram. You have 8 head bolts. None inside intake passage. I don't see how you could miss any. 4 down the middle and 4 down the outside. There should be 2 studs with nuts holding down the head as well

Last edited:
   / Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket #6  
Sounds like someone used sealant. Although some will recommend against it I have used a sharpened screwdriver or equivalent to wedge in enough to break the seal.

/ Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket #7  
I agree with a dead blow hammer to the corners. I would also suggest wiping the seam with diesel fuel a few times and letting it dry between each coat. Could be sealant or just a bunch of old crust/gunk build up.

/ Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket
I picked up a 45oz dead blow hammer and tried some last night but it didn't budge. Part of the issue is the FEL is in the way keeping me from having good clearance to get at the head. At any rate I'll try wiping diesel on the seam like mentioned above and tap and pry some more and see what I can get. Fun fun. Worst case I put it back together and take it to the folks in NC to see what they can do. Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep y'all posted on progress.

/ Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket #9  
get a 5lb dead blow. If you have a harbor freight near you they have good prices on them plus the 20% coupon.

You can always use a normal hammer with a block of wood as a cushion between the head but that does not give you a hand to hold onto the head with.

/ Separating the head from the block on a YM3110d to replace a head gasket #10  
That deadblow is just under 3 pounds unless you really whaled back on it they don't give as good a whack as the heavier ones. And if you are really in Greenville , I just looked at your location, there is a HF out Church street where 185 comes back into downtown out by the Hospital.

If you really have all the bolts and nuts like the guys are saying it will come off, keep tapping it. Do you have a torch, for heat? Heat it up some and then give it some wacks.