Running without oil

/ Running without oil #1  

marksold187

Tractor
Yanmar 187d
This past summer I had some woods work to do and its very uneven terrain. It was the first time I had it out since I changed the oil last and had installed a new power steering system. Unfortunately I put a 'long' filter on the motor and did not know that in an extreme articulation of the front axle out in the woods a fitting smacked the oil filter and punched a hole in it. After about 10 minutes of use- mid RPM just moving along, I was on my way back out of the woods when I stopped to look at this odd streak in the trail. I had dumped the entire oil . So for 10 minutes I had been running oil free (except for whatever the oil pump wasn't able to suck up)- until then.

So off the NAPA for a short filter and more Rotella 5-40. Filled it up and fired it up. Thats it. Runs like nothing happened. I've since put 5 hours on it at max rev blowing show. But Yanmar fans we know they are tough stuff. Just one more story to tell.

/ Running without oil #2  
If you were putting along on your way out of the woods, that might be to your benefit. Under full load it might have been quite different. Here is hoping for the former :proposetoast: :proposetoast:

/ Running without oil #3  
So long as it was laying down a black streak there was still some oil left. Did the oil pressure light come on?

/ Running without oil #4  
How do you know that it wasn't the Rotella that was the tough stuff? :D

Having synthetic oil may have helped you in this situation, and as California said, putting along and not a full throttle under a load should have helped too. Do you have an oil pressure gauge or did your oil light come on?

And yes these little tractors are tough!!

I have a long oil filter on my 2210d and I have to be careful and watch what I am doing because I have dented my long oil filter before, but that only started happening after I put on my power steering because of the extra hardware in the way.

/ Running without oil #5  
i will keep running the short filter, cause i have heard this one before!!! This is one application i will not be trying to cram the biggest filter on that i can. I have been researching my 4.7L sequoia running the large for filter FL1A or even the larger than stock toyata but smaller than the 1a the Fl400 the other ford filter that was on most of everything until the 00s. These filters match right up and bypass is the same as well. The Toyota filter is the same size as the filter on the yanmar, which is one of the other sizes that Japanese makers use. Seems there applications is mostly Honda and Subaru for this filter.

/ Running without oil #6  
Reading in a Subaru group, Subaru went to an even shorter filter with the same specs just to make clearance under some models of vehicle. (WRX?). The enthusiasts didn't like that.

So there are three filters that could be used on our Yanmars. That shortest one might avoid interference if this is a problem.

Also - the YM240 manual says change the filter every 2~3 oil changes. This must be a translation from the Japanese manual that expects the tractor will be used 100% in rice paddies - where there is no dust.

/ Running without oil #7  
Having synthetic oil may have helped you in this situation,

Sure it did ! Don't you remember those commercials of the 70's,or 80's showing that synthetic lubricant protection the engine with all the oil drained out ? LOL

/ Running without oil #8  
I have to dig in, I been reading more on BITOG recently about filter and specs and doing my own research. I am not sure what this filter micron rating is or the bypass setting. But all the old Ford filters and all the toyota filter will screw on and gaskets match up. If you choose the fram line, which I am not endorsing or not that is the 8a filter , 400, 3614, 43, and about half a dozen others I can't remember right now. The lady one has a 8psi bypass and the 3914 has a like 8-12. The first 2 are I think in the 12 to 14 psi without looking.
Oh and the prefiX would chanel based on whether you choose the extra gaurd (ph) the Tough Gaurd (tg?) Or the Ultra (xg?)

Also I am not saying to use any of these filters just that many of these are interchangeable on toyota and fords.