GC2300 loss of PTO power

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #1  

ChemEng

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2300
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that when using the MMM the mower would not fully stop turning (it was turning at a reduced speed) after disengaging the PTO. It would only stop after throwing the mid PTO selector ever to the off position. Then after attempting to move the mid PTO lever to the on position with the PTO set to off and the tractor running the gears would grind. It was as if the PTO was still slowly turning internally.

Fast forward to yesterday. I began mowing the yard. All was going well until about 20 minutes into the mow when I noticed the MMM started to bog down and eventually nearly stop when it encountered uncut grass. After I stopped and the deck cleared the cut grass the mower blades would slowly speed back up to operating speed. It became unusable this way. I placed my hand on the hydraulic filter and it felt very warm to me although I don't recall ever checking to see how warm it gets while in use.

Are these two issues related? Is the loss of power due to the fluid getting too hot?

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #2  
I don't think the filter being "very warm" is a problem -- that's normal, IMO.

When engaging the mower, I always follow this sequence (disengage reverse):
1) slow to idle
2) Slide forward PTO lever to "2000"
3) Slide main PTO lever to "engage."

Sometimes the gears will grind when I try to slide the "2000" lever in; I back that off, then briefly slide the "engage" lever in, then back out. After that, I can slide the 2000 lever in with no problem.

There is a rudimentary clutch in that PTO mechanism, but that's internal, I believe -- hope that's not your problem.

You may wish to look over carefully the mechanical parts --levers & arms, beneath the floor/left rear wheel well-- connected to the "engage" lever -- perhaps something is worn or loose there so it's not going completely into position.

DSC01685.JPG

DSC01686.JPG

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #3  
worn/sticking linkage could also explain the mower not fully stopping when main pto lever slid to off position
edit: pto is a wet clutch that can be partially engaged.

Last edited:
   / GC2300 loss of PTO power #4  
As all the above have mentioned, check for sticking linkages. My GC2300 has started to bind a bit when selecting the PTO. The Mid and Rear selection levers are starting to stick under the fender, will move together, not independently. The deck slow down may be a belt slipping. Check tensioner/spring, even the condition of the splines of the mower deck driveshaft.

Also check the pin connecting the pto shaft to the gearbox. There is also a key on the gearbox output shaft on the center blade. Sometimes friction is enough to get it spinning.

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
   / GC2300 loss of PTO power #5  
I agree with Irving, that filter is going to be pretty warm. It's really hard to determine if it's above the normal range, by a subjective interpretation.

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power
I have not discovered any slipping belts or broken pins. Another observation, with the tractor running and the PTO off, if I move the rear PTO lever to ON the rear PTO will turn, albeit not at full speed, even though the PTO is off.

Also with the tractor off, PTO off, and the rear PTO selector ON, the rear output shaft turns freely by hand. If my memory serves me right the rear output shaft never turned freely under these circumstances. Same with the mid PTO.

This is all leading me to believe the PTO clutch has failed.

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #7  
First observation/situation: it may be that the PTO shaft will turn just due to hydraulic fluid swirling around in there. Yes, it would be slow, and I bet you could stop it easily with any resistance applied to it.

Second observation/situation: Is this also with the "Engage" lever -- not the "2000," not the "540," but the inboard one -- (is this the one you call the "PTO On/Off" lever?) pushed forward to the engage position?

I don't think there's a mechanical connection unless and until two levers (front/rear -- 540 or 2000 -- and the engage lever) are both pushed forward.

PTO levers.JPG

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #8  
Also(and I have done this) make sure when mowing you are on low not high when using PTO attachments.

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #9  
Also(and I have done this) make sure when mowing you are on low not high when using PTO attachments.
heh heh....not saying I use high range and engage cruise control while mowing but......

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #10  
heh heh....not saying I use high range and engage cruise control while mowing but......
I have tried high range but my lawn is so bumpy I thought my kidneys were going to bounce out. But it did not affect the power to the deck.

Overall, after following this I think the OP is correct in the assessment that the wet clutch is shot.