GC2300 loss of PTO power

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #11  
yeah really is looking like that. its either that or the whole hydro system is losing pressure. don't have time to dig into service manual right now (2300 and 2400 use,iirc, same parts/specs) but if I get a chance tomorrow I will post the service manual again.
fwiw a plugged suction intake filter (behind left rear tire) can cause a crapload of issues.

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #12  
I've looked at my service manual. Replacing the wet clutch involves spitting the tractor. That's not something I'd be able to do. Probably looking at a couple thousand $ fix, maybe more.

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #13  
I've looked at my service manual. Replacing the wet clutch involves spitting the tractor. That's not something I'd be able to do. Probably looking at a couple thousand $ fix, maybe more.
if that is actually the issue.never assume.if it were MY tractor I would blindly replace the suction intake filter and then drive on from there. but thats just me.

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #14  
First observation/situation: it may be that the PTO shaft will turn just due to hydraulic fluid swirling around in there. Yes, it would be slow, and I bet you could stop it easily with any resistance applied to it.

Second observation/situation: Is this also with the "Engage" lever -- not the "2000," not the "540," but the inboard one -- (is this the one you call the "PTO On/Off" lever?) pushed forward to the engage position?

I don't think there's a mechanical connection unless and until two levers (front/rear -- 540 or 2000 -- and the engage lever) are both pushed forward.

View attachment 870165
Just for clarity the two lower levers in picture (2000 & 540 ) go rearwards to engage either or both PTO's.... The upper lever is the clutch engagement and it move forward to engage PTO's....

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #15  
True, I would try everything else first. Change all the filters and hydro oil and see what happens. But I would be preparing myself for the worst.

It seems that if there was something wrong with the mower bad enough to slow it down that would have some effect on the engine and not just loose power to the deck. If there was something else wrong with the HST then I would expect that to affect how movement speed as well and would cause other loss of power, not just the PTO.

With the PTO lever 540 or 2000 engaged you should not be able to turn that PTO by hand. This is not affected by in any way by the main PTO lever.

It could also be something in the linkage and the PTOs are not being fully engaged. But there is nothing external that can be adjusted and that would still mean splitting the tractor to see what's actually wrong.

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #16  
wranglerx raises a good point. I just got home (literally) from dealing with a gc1725m where when the 2k mid pto was yanked rearwards to engage it was also (due to lube issues) yanking the 540 lever backwards. at that point pto power was split.
mower deck suffered a lot.
few shots of wd40 white lithium and all working well.
just a thought.

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #17  
This is interesting thread because I got to playing with my PTO after reading here some (never really have had use for it) .... My situation is that the 2000 RPM PTO seem to NOT fully disengage and when I push the 2000 supposedly Off/Neutral there is clicking noise as I engage PTO clutch, but clicking noise goes away when I push 2000 firmly into gear, its like the 2000 does not fully disengage and the gears are sort of rubbing/clicking as it won't fully go into neutral (with engine at idle speeds sort of like grinding straight cut trans gears) .... Will be exploring what the issue may be as I have to change out DIFF LOCK cable (snapped threaded portion when some brush wedged up under tractor) and will have wheel off and access to all the linkages, but as said above, there is no adjustment on linkage, but that may change if I find it's just a linkage problem....

Also can somebody explain why the two stops/guides are at center of throw on clutch lever on my GC 1715 (as in image) they seem to serve no useful purpose...

PTO Clutch Lever.jpg

Also some info on MMM/PRO in link below...

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #18  
I think those "stops" are there only as a safety issue -- an inadvertent bump on the lever will NOT be able to turn the PTO "ON" but will instead be stopped from moving all the way forward, making it necessary that actual engagement of the PTO be a deliberate act.

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #19  
I think those "stops" are there only as a safety issue -- an inadvertent bump on the lever will NOT be able to turn the PTO "ON" but will instead be stopped from moving all the way forward, making it necessary that actual engagement of the PTO be a deliberate act.
Yep, just for safety.

/ GC2300 loss of PTO power #20  
Safety stop sounds reasonable, but I have hooked the lever trying to get off tractor and actually pulled it into engagement enough to trip safety switch....... So much for that...