geared tractor operation question

/ geared tractor operation question #11  
Option 2.
Take off easy then throttle up.
No reason to slip the clutch

/ geared tractor operation question
From the owners manual and the parts diagram it looks like the 5105's independent PTO does not have an overrun clutch or a brake. I'll keep that in mind while operating it.

/ geared tractor operation question #13  
From the owners manual and the parts diagram it looks like the 5105's independent PTO does not have an overrun clutch or a brake. I'll keep that in mind while operating it.
Which means the implement won't affect the driving part of the tractor, like how it happens with transmission driven PTOs where it pushes the tractor even with the clutch pedal pressed. You don't really have to worry much about it.

/ geared tractor operation question #14  
Which means the implement won't affect the driving part of the tractor, like how it happens with transmission driven PTOs where it pushes the tractor even with the clutch pedal pressed. You don't really have to worry much about it.
Haven't even transmission driven PTO's had internal over run clutch's to solve that problem since the 1950's or 60's.
Far as I know.
My previous tractor (1978 John Deere 850) had a transmission driven PTO. Had an internal over run clutch.
Pto mowers pushing the tractor through the drive line was a non issue, and has been for decades that I know of.

Last edited:
   / geared tractor operation question #15  
Haven't even transmission driven PTO had internal over run clutch's to solve that problem since the 1950's or 60's.
Far as I know they have.
Nor the Kubota B7000 I had or the little Agria I have now have those. Both were from the 70's.

/ geared tractor operation question #16  
Nor the Kubota B7000 I had or the little Agria I have now have those. Both were from the 70's.
Thats what I thought.
The problem of pushing a tractor through the PTO driveline was pretty much solved on most all tractors made for the past 60+ years.

/ geared tractor operation question #17  
Thats what I thought.
The problem of pushing a tractor through the PTO driveline was pretty much solved 60 years ago.
Sure but there were still made plenty of tractors made without internal overrunning clutch well beyond that time frame.

/ geared tractor operation question #18  
Sure but there were still made plenty of tractors made without internal overrunning clutch well beyond that time frame.
Yes they did over 60 years ago.
If you have a tractor from that era it could be an issue.
But the original posters tractors was made from 2000-2007

/ geared tractor operation question #19  
when you're running a PTO implement do you 1. raise the rpms to PTO speed 2. slip the clutch to get the tractor moving. Or do you use the foot throttle to get just enough rpms to get in motion, like you would with a manual transmission car or truck, and then raise the rpms to PTO speed as you're moving?

Eric, I have a 5205 which is basically the same tractor as yours with just a bit more power. When I am bush hogging I engage the PTO by moving the big lever when the tractor motor is idling and the bush hog is up off the ground a bit. Once the PTO is engaged and the bush hog blades are turning, I lower the bush hog, bump the revs up to PTO speed by use of the manual throttle and then let the clutch out normally to drive off, usually in low 2nd or 3rd gear depending on the terrain. The clutch is not really slipping, just being operated in the normal way. I never use the foot throttle when bush hogging. To shut down bring the motor to idle, disengage the PTO and let the motor idle for a few minutes before turning it off. You will find all this is simple to do - don't overthink it.
Regards, Chris

/ geared tractor operation question #20  
Sure. Just like you say, it's all about inertia/momentum... or spinning anything heavy and fast.

(Snip)

Hope this Helps.
rScotty
Thanks! ... Yes, backfeeding of power from the implement does happen on engine slowdown when there is no overrunning clutch. I have several tractors without this one way feature though, and much prefer their operational characteristic. The ability to slow down the implement with engine braking and to briefly employ the implement as a flywheel has always been a pleasant feature if you live with an understanding of it. Ive seen no evidence of any harm over thousands of use hrs on independent PTO tractors with std gear selected PTO and gear transmission.

In tractors with other drive schemes I believe there is a need for the overrun feature because of some design consideration that requires it to spare combined or omitted functions in differently configured design components. These arrangements seem to often need a PTO brake. What a pain! - although at least with the overrun the stub can be turned one way to line up during coupling.

I appreciate the twist back and forth Torque on driveline components that you mention. I agree this is not an optimal type of situation. Hopefully the occurrences stay comfortably within the system design margin.
Thanks again.