Jinma 254 backhoe hydraulic leak

/ Jinma 254 backhoe hydraulic leak #1  

Jimmy254

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jimna 254
My backhoe is leaking from one of the curl function hose joins behind the boom cylinder where the hose connects to the hardpipe. The trouble is i cant even get my hand in there to peel off the cable wrap to confirm if the joiner needs tightening or its the hose. Anyone had experience getting to this join? Can it be tightened without pulling out the whole line from the controller to the dipper? If it has to be pulled out how is this best done?

/ Jinma 254 backhoe hydraulic leak #2  
Not having done it myself, I can only speculate, but I think it is one of those "UGLY" jobs.

By taking the hose off at the valve body and removing the hose from the outboard end of the pipe you 'might' be able to snake the whole thing out the bottom of the boom by the pivot. Kind of depends on how the hard line is held in place. I think mine uses a clamp plate with a bolt through it. Odds are there is a nut on that on the inside under the boom cylinder.

You might save yourself a lot of frustration by just laying the boom and stick out straight, block it up and pull the boom cylinder. I had to replace the boom cylinder once and it was not that bad of a job. Not easy like a bucket cylinder, but I got it done by myself. Once the cylinder is out of the way, you will be able to make the needed repairs much easier.

After all that work, I would have to seriously consider replacing all the hoses in that part of the boom. Especially if they have some age on them.

Best of luck. Take pictures to aid in re-assembly and post them here to help others in the future.

/ Jinma 254 backhoe hydraulic leak
The hard line is held on as you described. Thanks for your reply. Pulling the boom cylinder out hadn't occured to me. Ill keep post back when i get around to working on it.

I managed to repair the leak. It was just the loose hose join. By extending the boom and stick and bucket out and lowering it all below the horizontal the gap to work through opens up enough to get a couple of spanners in there. Still needed to undo the two hard line clamps to get at it but did not have to remove the boom cylinder.

Can anyone who owns a jinma backhoe tell me if there are grease nipples on the pins at the ram ends that move the boom left and right. The photo might help show where they are. I cannot see any grease nipples or threads of missing ones. This is odd because there are no shortage of grease nipples on the backhoe.

Attachments

• IMG_20240509_141006.jpg
    IMG_20240509_141006.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240518_195829.jpg
    IMG_20240518_195829.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 8
Woops. Accidently posted the wrong photo. The 2nd? photo with the torchlight is the one i meant to post.

/ Jinma 254 backhoe hydraulic leak #7  
Nice that you could tighten the fitting without taking anything apart!

As far as greasing the swing pins, it has been a long time since I used the backhoe but this triggered a memory that there are no grease points there. The reason I remember is that it is something that should be greased just like the rest of the machine. I think the swing cylinder mounting ears have the same problem. I usually try to give them a squirt of oil or spray some kind of lube in there when I mount the hoe to the tractor. It is about the best you can do without pulling the pins and drill and tap for grease ports. Doing that to the mounting ears would be more difficult.

My backhoe is buried in the back of the storage shed. I will try to get a look at it the next time I am in there for something.

I did have my backhoe buried in the shed but have found it more than usefull for dragging around scrub and small trees in to burn piles. It also adds good ballast to the back. I welded a mechanical thumb on to yesterday hoping to increase its usefuleness.

/ Jinma 254 backhoe hydraulic leak #9  
If I had two tractors, I wouldn't have to take the backhoe off to use all the 3 point implements that I need. :)