John Deere 4100 Engine swap, now no voltage what so ever, stumped!

/ John Deere 4100 Engine swap, now no voltage what so ever, stumped! #1  

RitchElbe

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 / Jim Dandy
Hello readers,
I am at a dead end. With warm weather finally at the house. I decided to swap engines from the 4100 gear driven ( rear end went out )
and the 4100 HST ( Middle piston went after a loaner used ether on it.) Simple enough swap. Both engines would crank and run. A few days ago I completed hooking all the wiring up. Topped off the engine oil/radiator. ( have not down the the hydraulics yet. But that should not be an issue with the electrical) Brand new, very costly JD battery. Went to engage the switch annnnnnnnnnnd nothing. Not even 2 clicks for the glow plugs. I've checked fuses/relays { just in case installed new relays I had on hand} doubled checl the ground, checked bother safety switch connectors. Still nothing. It acts like it does when the drive is in gear and you try to start it. But it is in neutral. Now I did have to disconnect the neutral push rod to reconnect a damaged hydraulic line that went to the FEL controls. I have the full tech manual, but it only as trouble shooting for key things. Posting this late Saturday night. Tomorrow I have a helper heading over so U can do a voltage check and continuity on all lines. that shared I can say I am pretty proficient with mechincal. Background in Power Generators ( to 100,000K ) restore engines for garden Tractors from JD 140s to JD 4300s. My gut is telling me I am missing something really simple. Bad luck for me is a bad TBI that kicks in confusion when I focus to much. Just like I just now remembered to had a did test the inline fuse at the starter and it is good. Ole Man Murphy is working over time on me now that I am in the the last 60 days before moving to another state and I need the ole work horse back up and running. Thanks in advance.

/ John Deere 4100 Engine swap, now no voltage what so ever, stumped! #2  
Ritch. I join your thoughts in that big problems end up having easy solutions. I can’t tell you what’s wrong. I can start you trouble shooting that machine. A volt meter will really pinpoint exactly where you are loosening that voltage. And I’ll bet you are loosening it in the negative or the ground. Just my thoughts.

/ John Deere 4100 Engine swap, now no voltage what so ever, stumped! #3  
If ;you haven't cleaned the cables and cleaned all
contact points then ohm the cables one could have
an open and you can't see it with the cover

willy