Mowing Kubota mower deck lift linkage won't align

/ Kubota mower deck lift linkage won't align #1  

AbidingPhantom

Tractor
Kubota bx2660
I'm about at wits end with this. I recently purchased a kubota bx2660 used with a mower deck attachment and some other attachments.

Well I'm trying to attach the deck but can't get the lift linage to line up. I've watched tons of videos and tried everything I've been able to find. It seems like the PTO shaft is just an inch or so too long. I can connect to PTO no problem, but then i can't get the lift linkage to line up. Is there some way to compress the PTO or something? I've probably spent 8 hours in total fighting with this over several days. Any ideas would be helpful.

/ Kubota mower deck lift linkage won't align #2  
I had a BX 2350 and the pto should have a lot of play in it to slide back and forth. As I recall the two half’s of the pto shaft had a splined connection. It would only go together one way though. Mine almost had a missing spline on one half and a mate for that on the other half. Is your not together correctly?

/ Kubota mower deck lift linkage won't align #3  
Yup the PTO shaft should slide easy for 6+ inches from bottomed out to coming apart and has a "key" on the splines. Time to grease (or what ever you prefer) and work it loose.

/ Kubota mower deck lift linkage won't align #4  
If you can find the OE manual for this BX 2660 and MMM, I'd follow the instructions.

Is it possible that the PTO shaft is not the correct one for your set up?

Good Luck,
Mike

/ Kubota mower deck lift linkage won't align
I had a BX 2350 and the pto should have a lot of play in it to slide back and forth. As I recall the two half’s of the pto shaft had a splined connection. It would only go together one way though. Mine almost had a missing spline on one half and a mate for that on the other half. Is your not together correctly?
It's entirely possible. The guy i bought it from said he took it off and did some maintenance.. Maybe he didn't put it back together correctly.

Yup the PTO shaft should slide easy for 6+ inches from bottomed out to coming apart and has a "key" on the splines. Time to grease (or what ever you prefer) and work it loose.
Got it, then that'll be the issue. Thanks for confirming, I'll try and figure out why it's not sliding. I didn't see anything obvious and didn't wanna try to force for fear of breaking something. Will mess with the shaft more. Sounds like something is jammed then.

If you can find the OE manual for this BX 2660 and MMM, I'd follow the instructions.

Is it possible that the PTO shaft is not the correct one for your set up?

Good Luck,
Mike
Thanks! I did find the manual and its pretty identical to the YouTube video steps too... It sounds like probably the shaft is jammed up somehow and i need to work it lose. The deck and shaft *should* be the right one: given the guy who sold it to me said he removed it to do some maintenance.... So it was (according to him) on it before.

/ Kubota mower deck lift linkage won't align #8  
Got it, then that'll be the issue. Thanks for confirming, I'll try and figure out why it's not sliding. I didn't see anything obvious and didn't wanna try to force for fear of breaking something. Will mess with the shaft more. Sounds like something is jammed then.
Most likely just rusted from sitting. Penetrating oil and working in and out should loosen it, maybe some percussive maintenance. Just note that splines only fit one way, every time I pull it apart I argue with getting it aligned. Just me being an idiot but it makes me angry then slides right together :rolleyes:

Ended up having to replace it, i spent about 2 weeks applying penetrating rust removal and oil to no success. Tried beating at it a bit, tried tying a chain to one end and pulling with the tractor while it was anchored... Nothing budged it. Either its rusted and created such a seal that even the PB Blast and WD40 penetrative rust remover couldn't get in there, or maybe it's somehow twisted or jammed or something.

The part was nearly half the price of a new deck 😭

Will probably keep worrying at the stupid piece, if i can get it fixed I'll at least have a spare. In the meantime i can mow again so we've got fewer ticks popping up.

/ Kubota mower deck lift linkage won't align #10  
I guess a sliding shaft made it fit correctly? I'd guess that old shaft was never lubed and left sitting out in the rain.