Kubota Zero Turn Starting Issue Z125S

/ Kubota Zero Turn Starting Issue Z125S #11  
Is it still within the 48 month warranty? At only 82 hours Kubota would have to fix it if it is under the 48 months.

/ Kubota Zero Turn Starting Issue Z125S #12  
Does it start when you use a jumper wire on the solenoid?

/ Kubota Zero Turn Starting Issue Z125S
Does it start when you use a jumper wire on the solenoid?
Haven’t tried that yet, I’ll go out when it warms up later.

Is it still within the 48 month warranty? At only 82 hours Kubota would have to fix it if it is under the 48 months.

Have not thought of that, I will call them. Definitely within 48 months.

91D8DF91-4C4E-4DD1-947F-10080CA2354F.jpegFE6CCE33-B94C-46CD-88B6-337E41C8C9B6.jpegFrom the OP: I jumped the solenoid this morning and got the same groan. I took the thing apart to see what was up and I found the starter was broken, the starter shaft was broken in half. I don’t know what caused it but I have the dealer looking into it.
Oh, and the engine turns freely.

/ Kubota Zero Turn Starting Issue Z125S #16  
Jumping off this aged thread. I'm having the same/similar starting issues. [Understand from Kubota dealer that this is common issue. Had it there a couple times; fixed, but when I asked what the problem is, dude can't remember]. When I Turn the key, sounds like the "PTO" clutch solenoid clicks, and nothing at the starter. Solenoid is new, starter is new, all contacts are clean, tested all the "safety" switches; all in order. I unhooked all wires to the starter, hooked on a remote starter directly from battery to starter, the engine barely turns over. Did the same with the big booster/charger on boost, same result. [Yes, starter was bench tested before i installed it to ensure it was not 'NEW' as in never-ever-worked]. That silly kohler should spin easily, especially off the booster/charger, right? Any thoughts?

/ Kubota Zero Turn Starting Issue Z125S #17  
Jumping off this aged thread. I'm having the same/similar starting issues. [Understand from Kubota dealer that this is common issue. Had it there a couple times; fixed, but when I asked what the problem is, dude can't remember]. When I Turn the key, sounds like the "PTO" clutch solenoid clicks, and nothing at the starter. Solenoid is new, starter is new, all contacts are clean, tested all the "safety" switches; all in order. I unhooked all wires to the starter, hooked on a remote starter directly from battery to starter, the engine barely turns over. Did the same with the big booster/charger on boost, same result. [Yes, starter was bench tested before i installed it to ensure it was not 'NEW' as in never-ever-worked]. That silly kohler should spin easily, especially off the booster/charger, right? Any thoughts?
I am surprised it turned over. You said you disconnected all the wire from the starter. I am assuming you also disconnected the 12 volt battery source from the starter. Measure your battery voltage with a volt OHM meter. Does the battery test show readings greater than 12 volts?

Remove the wire coming from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. Turn the ignition switch to on. Take a covered heavy duty 12 volt wire long enough to reach from the battery to the starter solenoid. Connect one end to the positive post. Remove the protective covering from about a 1/2 inch of the other end of the wire. Now touch the post on the starter solenoid, the one you remove the starter solenoid wire coming from the ignition switch. The unit should spin over and start. As soon as it starts remove the wire you were holding against the starter solenoid. Do not continue to hold the wire against the starter solenoid.

If jumping the solenoid starts the engine you are suffering the low voltage problem from the switch to the starter solenoid. Yes it is a common problem . You will need to install a 12 volt relay in your circuit coming from the switch to the starter.

/ Kubota Zero Turn Starting Issue Z125S #18  
Appreciate the response. Yes, I removed all the hot from the starter and removed the ground from the starter bracket bolt as well. Then I bypassed the entire electrical system and used the remote starter device below. First from the battery [which tests 12.7v]. Starter engages and did not spin the engine. Second, from the HD battery charger in boost mode. Same result. Jumping does not start the engine. This thing has given me grief the past couple years. Based on what I've read, I planned on a 12v relay install. Right now, the engine does not spin. Just drags.
1715967332528.png

/ Kubota Zero Turn Starting Issue Z125S #19  
View attachment 597476View attachment 597477From the OP: I jumped the solenoid this morning and got the same groan. I took the thing apart to see what was up and I found the starter was broken, the starter shaft was broken in half. I don’t know what caused it but I have the dealer looking into it.
Oh, and the engine turns freely.
Welcome to the Kohler Courage twin starter issue. The top bushing wears and gets oblong, and then gets to a point where it will bind with the flywheel, and then it breaks the shaft off. Replace the starter on move on. There is a way to upgrade to the Command series solenoid shift starter which eliminates most of the starter issues.

/ Kubota Zero Turn Starting Issue Z125S #20  
I resolved the bushing issue with the original starter with a new starter yesterday. "Solenoid is new, starter is new"..... "Yes, starter was bench tested before i installed it to ensure it was not 'NEW' as in never-ever-worked"

Will the Kubota dealer know about this "upgrade to the Command series solenoid shift starter which eliminates most of the starter issues"