L4400; enough beef?

/ L4400; enough beef? #1  

korndodger

I am looking into L4400 GST, will need to pull bush hog up and down hills mostly and use FEL, my 40 acres seems to be either up or down, about 3 acres only semi flat, rocky and generally non cooperative, but has plenty grass and brush. I have used previously 50 HP tractor for this, anyone with info on gumption of this 4400 please advise, seems to me to be about what I need but will appreciate all advice or comments on this........

/ L4400; enough beef? #2  
I am looking into L4400 GST, will need to pull bush hog up and down hills mostly and use FEL, my 40 acres seems to be either up or down, about 3 acres only semi flat, rocky and generally non cooperative, but has plenty grass and brush. I have used previously 50 HP tractor for this, anyone with info on gumption of this 4400 please advise, seems to me to be about what I need but will appreciate all advice or comments on this........

How big is the brush hog you used with that 50 hp tractor? Is that the mower you want to use with the L4400?

My neighbor has a new 44 hp Kubota GST that handles a 6-ft BH with no problem. It's a sweet machine.

If I had 40 acres to mow, I'd be looking for a 9-10 foot mower. Something like the Bush Hog 2010 mower with a 9.5 ft cut. It comes in a pull-type configuration that requires 40 hp (pto) minimum. The L4400 is a bit underpowered for this size mower (37.5 hp pto).

/ L4400; enough beef? #3  
40 acres for an L4400 sounds a little light, but it really depends on how long you are willing to spend to get something done. I'd think that you probably need a little more power.

/ L4400; enough beef?
Thanks guys, the beauty of this siutuation I guess is that I have used borrowed 4wd 50HP tractor with a 7' bush hog on my property, this worked very well and the tractor was handling this very nicely, so I was thinking I might get away with less. However, since I have not tried it with less it might not. So I am starting from the ground up on this set up.......maybe I am trying to get away with too little power. It's very hilly and rough.

/ L4400; enough beef? #5  
Thanks guys, the beauty of this siutuation I guess is that I have used borrowed 4wd 50HP tractor with a 7' bush hog on my property, this worked very well and the tractor was handling this very nicely, so I was thinking I might get away with less. However, since I have not tried it with less it might not. So I am starting from the ground up on this set up.......maybe I am trying to get away with too little power. It's very hilly and rough.

That L4400 should be able to handle your 7ft brush hog.
The Bush Hog 7ft Squealer specs call for 35-50 pto hp.
The 7ft Rhino pull-type rotary mower needs 30 pto hp (min).

/ L4400; enough beef? #6  
I have a L4400 4wd gear drive I use it to bushog my 22 acres of pine trees and brush with a Rhino TW72 6' Med duty cutter and it does fine never a problem with power. I have FEL also and it will move all the dirt i need to although it is some what light on the loader lifting power. That is hyd power not engine power though.

Good luck and IMO you can never get a tractor big enough.

/ L4400; enough beef? #7  
40 Acres is a lot and yours doesn't sound easy. A notch up in power for not much increase in cost, would be the MX5100 (or MX5000 if you can find one). It's 50HP and rated by Kubota for a 7 ft. BH. A little stronger all the way around. No HST, though.

I mow with both an L4300 (prev. version of the L4400) and an MX5000. For the big jobs and the tough stuff, I definitely prefer the MX. The L will handle a light/std duty 6 footer, but it's happier with a 5 footer....nice around trees.

With the money you'll be spending, you want to get it right.
Bob

/ L4400; enough beef? #8  
40 Acres is a lot and yours doesn't sound easy. A notch up in power for not much increase in cost, would be the MX5100 (or MX5000 if you can find one). It's 50HP and rated by Kubota for a 7 ft. BH. A little stronger all the way around. No HST, though.

I mow with both an L4300 (prev. version of the L4400) and an MX5000. For the big jobs and the tough stuff, I definitely prefer the MX. The L will handle a light/std duty 6 footer, but it's happier with a 5 footer....nice around trees.

With the money you'll be spending, you want to get it right.
Bob

i also agree that the MX5100 or MX5000 sounds like more of what you would be looking for. the L4400 is an awesome tractor, several people on here have them and rave about their performance. i just think that since you know youre happy when you used that 50hp tractor you mentioned, why not get one of your own? i did the opposite of you, i used my friends 50hp 2wd tractor occasionally and decided to go bigger(56hp MFWD). i'm not sure about prices, but i seem to remember youd be able to get a MX5100 for not too much more then an L4400. for just a little more $$$ you get a good bit more tractor.

/ L4400; enough beef?
Well this is great info, its looking like size does matter, as usual. I guess I was thinking the L4400 with GST would be able to handle it, and it might but as several of you point out I may be at the upper end of its useful range and something else with a bit more upside might be better in the long run. Clearly having a little more than I need will be better than having a little less than I'd need. Doubt I will look at HST regardless of tractor size, I am not in the mood for giving away any grunt here.

/ L4400; enough beef? #10  
Clearly having a little more than I need will be better than having a little less than I'd need. Doubt I will look at HST regardless of tractor size, I am not in the mood for giving away any grunt here.

The benifit of the hydro is the variable speed! When the going does get a little tough you just back off the petal a little and keep on going! No shifting! When it's easy, you just speed up to a comfortable level. A hydro on pto work size for same size can out do a gear drive when doing pto work. The ability to speed up and slow down with out changing the throttle or gear is their plus. This is also a plus with rough ground for the ride of the machine and operator.