Let's see some homemade log booms

/ Let's see some homemade log booms #1  

JeepHead

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 2502 HST
I am planning to make a 3pnt log boom. Will probably also incorporate a trailer hitch so I can move trailer around too. Just curious if anyone has pics of one they've made. Always looking for ideas.

/ Let's see some homemade log booms #2  
Do you mean a boom pole like this ??

gg

/ Let's see some homemade log booms #3  
There are also skidding winches... like this.

file.ashx

One could probably simplify the design some if making one DIY, but if you're pulling a steel cable, then some seat protection is vital.

/ Let's see some homemade log booms #4  
Local farmer had a nice 3pt boom pole at his saw mill.
I noted that the chain fixing at the business end was just a sliding fit into the boom it's self, and asked about that detail.
His response was, "You will know the value of that the first time you try to drive off with too much load."
Seems like sound advice.

/ Let's see some homemade log booms #5  
I made this 10 years ago. Not a boom but moves logs and may give you some ideas. Used a tractor draw bar from TSC and some angle etc.

A_Frame.JPG

Put an over the center type latch on my tongs to hold them open.

TongsGrapple (2).JPG

And a rope pull to latch open the tongs.

TongsGrapple (5).JPG

TongsGrapple (6).JPG

I made this short video the very first time I tried it.

gg

/ Let's see some homemade log booms #6  
This is another way to do it. Pretty poor pic. Put a hinge on the draw bar at the base of the boom and a slide on the tractor draw bar. Gets you more lift. Always pulling from draw bar not top link.

LogHitch.JPG

gg

/ Let's see some homemade log booms
Thanks fellers! Not looking for an actual boom pole, I don't need that kind of reach and want a higher duty rating than wat a boom provides. And I definitely don't want or see the need to invest in a skidder winch. Here's what I am kinda thinking...

I am considering adding a winch into the mix but would like to fabricate a basic 3pnt lift system that has a short boom maybe 3'-4' or so just to get it away from the tractor a bit. Have a winch mounted on it so that I can winch a log to the tractor, grab onto it with tongs or a chain, and get the end up so I can drag it out. I have a visual in my mind of what I am planning to build but was just looking for other ideas.

I made this 10 years ago. Not a boom but moves logs and may give you some ideas. Used a tractor draw bar from TSC and some angle etc.

View attachment 868386

Put an over the center type latch on my tongs to hold them open.

View attachment 868387

And a rope pull to latch open the tongs.

View attachment 868388

View attachment 868389

I made this short video the very first time I tried it.

gg

Something very similar to this is what I have in mind but I will probably weld mine out of 3" tubing...Thanks!

electric or hydraulic?

I think both are pretty slow but if you go electric, upgrade your alternator and add a couple deep cell batteries to the mix.
It will be electric and it will be nothing larger than a 3500LB.