Loss of power/engine RPM's after 20 to 30 minutes.

/ Loss of power/engine RPM's after 20 to 30 minutes. #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
So, I'm just starting out mowing again this year with B2920 and MMM. It now has 250 hours. My first time mowing I did not have any issues. However today the tractor had a loss of RPM's and power after about 30 minutes or so and had some white smoke. I run it at full RPM's (about 3200 or so) while mowing, and it suddenly dropped to 2,000 to 1500. I turned it off and then back on and again it was doing this within 30 seconds or so. The RPM's would drop for a while but then return back up to 3200. After it did this a few times I drove around without the mid PTO engaged and it was still having this issue. For some reason it would do this then seem ok for a little bit and then do it again.

I quit for a while and went to get some new diesel which I added to the tank thinking maybe that was the problem. It was about 30 minutes before I started back mowing and this time the problem didn't start up for 20 minutes or so. Possibly once the fluids or fuel heat up could be a factor in what is going on?

I have checked the oil and HST fluid which are at normal levels. The air filter looked ok. The fuel filter looked ok to me, but I am not close to being a mechanic. Could a clogged fuel filter be causing stuff like this? Regular maintenance has been done up to this point. Any advice or tips on what I could do to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

/ Loss of power/engine RPM's after 20 to 30 minutes. #2  
A clogged or partially clogged fuel filter could cause your problem.
At 250 hours has the filter been changed yet.
3200 RPM seems a little high. Isn't your PTO speed about 2600 or is 3200 normal for that tractor.

/ Loss of power/engine RPM's after 20 to 30 minutes.
Yes the fuel filter has been changed before but maybe it is getting clogged up. 3200 is fine I think. This is the mid PTO, not the rear PTO. When I was buying it the dealer said it would be fine to run it at WOT or wide open throttle. Thanks for your reply. Maybe it is just the fuel filter or if the tank had maybe gotten some condensation in it over the winter. I keep it stored inside but I think it can get humid in there. I did put some fuel stabilizer in there to help with that though.

/ Loss of power/engine RPM's after 20 to 30 minutes. #4  
Yes the fuel filter has been changed before but maybe it is getting clogged up. 3200 is fine I think. This is the mid PTO, not the rear PTO. When I was buying it the dealer said it would be fine to run it at WOT or wide open throttle. Thanks for your reply. Maybe it is just the fuel filter or if the tank had maybe gotten some condensation in it over the winter. I keep it stored inside but I think it can get humid in there. I did put some fuel stabilizer in there to help with that though.

Wondering if it could also be a problem with the venting on the tank creating a vacuum that slows fuel flow and/or a fuel pump issue.

/ Loss of power/engine RPM's after 20 to 30 minutes. #5  
Are you absolutely sure that gasoline was not added instead of diesel?

What you describe is consistent with gasoline in the fuel...don't ask how I know.

/ Loss of power/engine RPM's after 20 to 30 minutes. #6  
Another possibility is crud in the bottom of the fuel tank, clogging the fuel line. With so few hours I doubt it, however it can happen.

Are you absolutely sure that gasoline was not added instead of diesel?

What you describe is consistent with gasoline in the fuel...don't ask how I know.

I have always added diesel.

/ Loss of power/engine RPM's after 20 to 30 minutes. #8  
Wondering if it could also be a problem with the venting on the tank creating a vacuum that slows fuel flow and/or a fuel pump issue.

Definite possibility------------try running with the fuel cap off for a while.
(If worried of crud falling in tank, loosely stuff a rag in filler)

Turns out it was a dirty fuel filter. I was able to work on it today and after replacing the fuel filter I was able to mow again problem free. Thanks for the help. I was able to change the filter with the tank mostly full. I just lost a little more diesel fuel doing it that way rather than changing it when the tank is less than half full.

/ Loss of power/engine RPM's after 20 to 30 minutes. #10  
I have a BX2370 and I have 221 hours and I am wondering when I should change my fuel filter?