never liked the ROPS now i have a reason

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #71  
no this is what it looks like after a branch smacks you
branchfellonmyloader-jpg.847070

Not even a scratch in the paint... well, that I can see.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #73  
I'm looking at new Cub Cadet zero turn mowers and these new ones, especially their Pro Z series, look like a high sitting height compared to my past smaller zero turn mowers. They have ROPS that can go straight up, or lay back flat, at at least one middle position.

In one middle position I saw in a YouTube video review my head height looks higher than the ROPS bar - so it shouldn't catch on a tree branch.

My question is...can an intermediate position with seatbelt really save you in a rollover?

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #74  
I'm looking at new Cub Cadet zero turn mowers and these new ones, especially their Pro Z series, look like a high sitting height compared to my past smaller zero turn mowers. They have ROPS that can go straight up, or lay back flat, at at least one middle position.

In one middle position I saw in a YouTube video review my head height looks higher than the ROPS bar - so it shouldn't catch on a tree branch.

My question is...can an intermediate position with seatbelt really save you in a rollover?
JD says don't wear the seatbelt if the ROPS is down. What I get from that is that they must think you have a better chance getting off/away from the machine than by staying on with folded ROPS. Still, folded or deployed, it has to be better than nothing. ZTR's seem to have such a wide stance, it's hard for me to see how you could roll one, but it can happen, I guess.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #75  
A seatbelt once saved my life,literally, and I still broke it off the structure - but that's a different story. If a rollover is the slightest risk, wear the seatbelt. As a firefighter, I attended many too many rollover accidents of farm equipment, and road vehicles where the use of a seatbelt would have kept the victim near to the center of the machine, so it did not crush them. Sadly, human's natural reaction is to try to prevent an anticipated rollover, so sticking out some body part, thinking they have the strength to overcome the rollover forces. On your bicycle, fine, anything bigger, have yourself already held in centered against your own instincts!

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason #76  
ZTR's seem to have such a wide stance, it's hard for me to see how you could roll one, but it can happen, I guess.
I can see rolling one over backwards, much more than to the side, but there's actually quite a few photos, videos, and news stories of people rolling them sideways.

I will say, I had the mower deck off mine last winter for some work, and the front is so light without the deck mounted that I could life the tires off the ground with two fingers. When I had to move it from shop to shed, it was tempting to punch the control and see if I could ride it wheelie, but figured I'm not that lucky.

/ never liked the ROPS now i have a reason
tractor roll over with out ROPS and a seatbelt in use == dead operator. and a clear case of the equipment manufacturer negligence, so they are not going to recommend it in the safety labels, the chances of getting away from a rolling tractor is slim at best but at least it is your negligence not the safety equipment.