New 2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54

/ New 2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54 #1  

Runner

Veteran Member
Tractor
2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54, 2007 John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B
Pulled the trigger on a new 2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54. This thread will be to document my experience in this journey. Everything about this machine, including the buying process is completely different from anything I've done before.

First, a little background on my needs. I have a 6 acre property, of which about 2 acres is finish mowed and the other 4 is pasture, with some wooded areas thrown in. The property is very hilly and rough, with lots of trees, buildings, terraces, driveways, etc., to mow around, including a small orchard. The steepest slope in the lawn area is almost 24 degrees.

For the last 17 years, I have been mowing this with a lawn tractor and a 2007 John Deere 2520 with a 72 inch rear finish mower. The process was to cut in around everything with the lawn tractor first, then mow the open areas with the big machine. The trimming work with the lawn tractor took anywhere from 1:15 to 1:30 and the mowing with the big machine took another hour, so total time for the old method was between 2:15 and 2:30.

I never thought this was the best or fastest way to do it, but felt the slopes were too much for a regular ZTR. The process always frustrated me a little. Not that I mind the seat time, but the clumsiness of the whole thing and the fact that I had to go to so much work to get a decent result without tearing up the grass bugged me.

So, now I was to the point that the lawn tractors I use for this were getting old and I was ready for a change. My original plan was to buy a four-wheel-steer JD X354 to be my new "cutting-in" machine and keep doing it the old way. Then, I saw the Cub Cadet ZTXS machines with steerable front wheels and realized I might be able to just buy one of these to do the whole lawn and leave the lawn tractor and compact tractor for other jobs.

I settled on the CC Ultima ZTXS5 54 because this was the the most heavy duty (non Pro Z) model that CC makes with a 54 inch mower deck. I wanted the 54 inch deck because I believed it would be the best compromise between speed (width of cut), and maneuverability. Also, I will be using a bagger from time to time for leaves in the fall and sometimes for grass to add to my compost pile and I thought the 54 inch deck might work better with the bagger.

As others have experienced, some of these CC models, especially the ZTXS5 54 are hard to find. None of my local dealers had one. So, I took a leap of faith and ordered my unit online from Cub Cadet. This process blew my mind as I have never ordered anything this expensive online, nor paid for it with a credit card. However, the process was seamless (except for my credit card company putting a hold on my card because of the "suspicious activity"). Cub Cadet promised that the unit would be sent to my local dealer and delivered to me in 8 to 10 days. I ordered on May 9 and it was delivered to my driveway (along with the accessories) by May 17.

Now for the review: This thing is CRAZY. Like mowing the grass with a gokart. After reading all the lawyer-ese in the manual, I was somewhat concerned how this machine would do on hills. Turned out, my concerns were totally unfounded. It felt rock-solid on slopes from any direction. Part of my yard is a long stretch of near 24 degree side slope. Handled it like a champ and I was comfortable mowing it with the ROPS down. Hanging on to the cup holder to keep from sliding out of the seat and steering with the other hand.

My orchard sits on a near 20 degree slope and I used to have to mow around the trees by making "Austin Powers turns" around them with the old lawn tractor. Not anymore. I was literally laughing and giggling like a school girl while pulling tight continuous turns around these trees with the Cub without loosing traction even once. I probably cut 10 minutes off my mowing time in just this one area.

Bad stuff? Well, I'm still concerned about the dealer(s). These things seem to be new to all the dealers around me and I wonder if they can actually fix this thing if something goes wrong. Also, the machine was delivered with only one key. Anyone else have this experience with CC products? There was also no manual delivered with the machine. I had to download both the owners manual and the engine manual online. I asked the rep. who delivered the machine about this and he said he would look into it. So, still not sold on the CC "dealer experience". Maybe it will get better....

As far as the machine, it started and ran fine. I noticed a rather odd noise coming from the mower deck, sounding a little like train wheels clicking on tracks. This concerned me at first, but seemed to go away, mostly, once throttled up to full speed, but could still hear it throughout the mowing.

As expected, this thing rides ROUGH. At least three times it bounced me off the seat hard enough to activate the safety switch and shut off the mower, bringing an abrupt halt to the fun. My yard really is going to be kind of a torture test for this thing and I will be surprised if it doesn't shake itself apart, but so far, so good.

As for power, I think the 24 HP Kawi is up to the job with the 54 inch deck, however, at least for my hilly yard, if I was getting a 60 inch deck, I would want the biggest engine available, so I would pop for the 6 series (and also for the suspension seat). It was kind of hard to monitor the fuel gauge with all the bouncing around, but it appeared that the machine used about 3 gallons in 1.8 hours of use which I think is outstanding.

Mowing speed was mostly limited by the roughness of the ground. Also, I was fighting some 8 inch tall grass in a fairly large area due to my last mowing being interrupted by a "rain event". Consequently, I wound up having to take half-swaths on quite a bit of the side yard. Still I am confident that, under more normal conditions, I will be able to cut a full hour off my mowing time once I get used to the machine and develop a more consistent mowing pattern.

Steering was accurate and very light (much lighter than either of my lawn tractors). Making true zero turns will still tear up the grass a little, so I need to practice making U- and Y- turns. Controls work great and are positioned right where I want them. And, get this, it has a separate MANUAL CHOKE (not "choke-a-matic"). Never thought I'd see one of those again in this day and age. Love it.

Overall, this thing is a blast to run and I am 100% happy with my purchase so far. I Don't know how long it will last under my conditions, only time will tell, but for now, I'm a happy camper.
IMG_7399.JPG
IMG_7402.JPG
IMG_7408.JPG
IMG_7410.JPG

IMG_7412.JPG
IMG_7415.JPG

Last edited:
   / New 2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54 #2  
Glad to hear you're happy with it! I didn't realize you had bought direct from Cub/off their website. Interesting to hear about that experience.

FWIW, mine only came with one key as well, though it did come with a manual (I forget where it was shoved -- under the seat by the battery I think?). It was in a grey bag.

One thing to call out -- I recently had to buy a lock-n-lube grease gun extender to be able to hit the forward-facing zerks for the steering linkage that are accessed via the holes in the yellow plate just below the Cub Cadet logo. The locking coupler won't fit through the holes.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear you have the same issue with the rough terrain triggering the seat presence switch, though sorry to hear you have to deal with that hassle. I'll report back on the suspension platform addition later this week - need to run and get some longer bolts today and things should dry out early this week to take it for a test drive. So far I'm not impressed by the installation instructions (I've had to disassemble and reassemble a few times now as I figure things out) but the more videos I watch the more I expect good things.

Nice looking property!

/ New 2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54
Glad to hear you're happy with it! I didn't realize you had bought direct from Cub/off their website. Interesting to hear about that experience.

FWIW, mine only came with one key as well, though it did come with a manual (I forget where it was shoved -- under the seat by the battery I think?). It was in a grey bag.

One thing to call out -- I recently had to buy a lock-n-lube grease gun extender to be able to hit the forward-facing zerks for the steering linkage that are accessed via the holes in the yellow plate just below the Cub Cadet logo. The locking coupler won't fit through the holes.

I'm somewhat relieved to hear you have the same issue with the rough terrain triggering the seat presence switch, though sorry to hear you have to deal with that hassle. I'll report back on the suspension platform addition later this week - need to run and get some longer bolts today and things should dry out early this week to take it for a test drive. So far I'm not impressed by the installation instructions (I've had to disassemble and reassemble a few times now as I figure things out) but the more videos I watch the more I expect good things.

Nice looking property!
Hmm, I checked under the seat but didn't see it. Better check again in case I missed it in all the excitement.

Are those front zerks 90 degree couplings? I think you can access them from underneath if they were just straight. I get that they were trying to make it easier by making them come out the front, but we have to have our Lock-N-Lube!!!! Maybe that's why when I reached under there, all I could feel was a big blob of grease on each one. Perhaps the dealer couldn't get their gun on there either. Definitely needs a closer look.

Well, at least the seat is nice and cushy. I think for now I will be fine with the stock setup once I learn where I need to slow down.

Now, I'm in the process of trying to figure out oil/air filter replacement part numbers. This is always a challenge with Kawasaki stuff and I don't know why. Went through the same thing with my Mule. I look at the number on the existing filter, then go to their web site to verify it and they don't even list the part number. Not superceded or anything, just no listing for a part number on a brand new machine that has their name on it. Of course, they sell millions of them and the one I'm looking at appears the same, but it's just one number off from the part on the machine :-(

/ New 2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54 #4  
Are those front zerks 90 degree couplings? I think you can access them from underneath if they were just straight. I get that they were trying to make it easier by making them come out the front, but we have to have our Lock-N-Lube!!!! Maybe that's why when I reached under there, all I could feel was a big blob of grease on each one. Perhaps the dealer couldn't get their gun on there either. Definitely needs a closer look.

They're straight, but there's not quite enough room to get the lock-n-lube coupler in there. I believe they make a 90deg fitting/adapter which might work better than the extension adapter I got -- it's easy to just make a mess of grease vs actually get it in the zerk without the locking coupler (didn't realize how spoiled I am with the lock-n-lube!)

Paid a visit to the dealer that delivered my machine today to pick up the owners and engine manuals which were not delivered with the equipment. He was not very nice to me, acting like he was doing me a favor by giving me my manuals and warranty info. When he did give it to me, both manuals were for the wrong machine, so I had to go back.

He also told me that the "mower chute stop bracket", which is used to hold the discharge chute in the up position for shipping, could not be given to me for "safety reasons" (even though I paid for it....). Keep in mind, it was delivered with a block of wood holding up the discharge chute.....

Incidentally, as mentioned in my original post, the machine was delivered with only one key. The employee who dropped it off didn't know if it was supposed to have two or not, but said he would check. Tuned out, there were two more keys in the packet I got today with the manuals, so that tells me there were supposed to be at least two keys provided with the machine.

No "Good morning", "Goodbye", "Thanks for your business", nothing. I am just baffled how a company that sells EXPENSIVE pieces of equipment to people can get away with that type of treatment, but these guys have been in business for years. I'm GLAD I bought this online, just wish I'd had it delivered directly to my home and bypassed the dealer altogether.

Really hope this thing never needs to go back in for service. Cub Cadet really needs to work on their dealer network....

Last edited:
   / New 2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54 #6  
Perhaps part of the "cold" reception at the dealer is the fact that you ordered it on-line. Maybe the dealer missed out on some cash for the sale.

Shouldn't be, I made a special trip over there to speak with them about it and it was actually their recommendation that I order it online because they said if they ordered it for me, it would take a long time and they had no idea when their next order would go in. Whereas, Cub Cadet promised 8 to 10 days on their web site.

The dealer said they would make the same money either way.

Also, if it turns out that CC is screwing their dealer by their policies, that should be handled between them, not taken out on the customer.

Second mowing yesterday. Machine still running great. Tried lowering the tire pressure slightly, but it didn't help the ride, just made steering harder. So, I think I'll just set the front tires back at the recommended 28 lbs and live with the ride.

Speaking of tire pressure, the massive side plates on the front spindles makes it a pain to get to the valve stems on the front wheels. Had to break out the old inflator with a 90-degree chuck to check them.

What I may not be able to live with is having the mower stop every time I hit a hard bump, so a bypass of the seat switch may be in my future. This happened three more times yesterday.

It's really too bad they had to go overboard on the sensitivity of this system because this is one safety measure I actually want.

The reverse safety system is ridiculous to me, but it's easy enough to use, i.e., push one button at the start to bypass, that I can live with it. However, if that "one button" ever gives me any trouble, it too will be bypassed.

Last edited:
   / New 2024 Cub Cadet Ultima ZTXS5 54 #9  
It's really too bad they had to go overboard on the sensitivity of this system because this is one safety measure I actually want

I feel the same way. I was hoping (still am, I guess?) there's a way to make it less sensitive, but didn't see an easy way to get to the mechanics of the switch. I think you need to remove the seat cushion foam which appears to be glued to the seat bottom frame/shell and I didn't want to risk tearing that apart.

You would think you could pull the presence switch out from the bottom of the seat for repair/replacement but I don't see a way to do that either.

Curious to hear anyone else's impressions, but it looks like bypassing is the only way.

I feel the same way. I was hoping (still am, I guess?) there's a way to make it less sensitive, but didn't see an easy way to get to the mechanics of the switch. I think you need to remove the seat cushion foam which appears to be glued to the seat bottom frame/shell and I didn't want to risk tearing that apart.

You would think you could pull the presence switch out from the bottom of the seat for repair/replacement but I don't see a way to do that either.

Curious to hear anyone else's impressions, but it looks like bypassing is the only way.
I haven't investigated yet, but if it's like this one, you just unplug from the bottom of the seat. This guy bypassed with a zip tie and electrical tape.
Obviously, he is dealing with a lawn tractor, not ZTR, but still Cub Cadet.