New Home Build

/ New Home Build #51  
I am looking to start building my retirement home. Anyone have an idea what the current cost average is per square foot. I am looking at a single story 3-bedroom 2 bath with attached 2 car garage with an open floor plan. I already own the land.
We purchased 8 acres all woods in the country in 2014 and built in 2016. I can tell you that custom homebuilders do not have a sqft charge. It all depends on you and what you want. Take for instance countertops. My wife likes granite as do I. So as we were discussing our wants. She said we could have them install the cheaper countertops and then down the road install granite. I simply said do it now. Its cheaper now than in the long run. Also the amount of bedrooms will dictate how big you septic will be as will your soil type. Your absolute number 1 priority is Drainage. Make sure the water drains away from the house. Do not try to skimp out not adding one more row of blocks or not getting the basement walls high enough.

/ New Home Build #52  
Do not try to skimp out not adding one more row of blocks or not getting the basement walls high enough.

Our perspective -- didnt' want to "skimp out", just didn't want a lot of steps up into the house or off the back porch. So our crawl space is maybe one block shorter than the builder would have done by default.

Drainage is still great on the house due to us basically being on a hilltop. And it's only one step up from the sidewalk to the front porch which is nice!