Pocket Gopher Control

/ Pocket Gopher Control #111  
Just arrived home and notice a fresh mound... turned on the trusty garden hose and another deceased gopher met it's demise...
Is that actually working for you? The only thing that works for me is trapping and poison bait.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #112  
image.jpg

/ Pocket Gopher Control #114  
Best shot is vigilance… as soon as a mound appears it’s time to attack.

I also have a lot of hard pan which tends to limit depth.

I’ve tried concision and bait and spring traps…

Easiest and fastest for new disturbed earth for me is my 100 psi city water garden hose…

/ Pocket Gopher Control #115  

/ Pocket Gopher Control #116  
Best shot is vigilance… as soon as a mound appears it’s time to attack.

I also have a lot of hard pan which tends to limit depth.

I’ve tried concision and bait and spring traps…

Easiest and fastest for new disturbed earth for me is my 100 psi city water garden hose…
It probably works for you because of the hard pan soil depth limitation and most likely heavy clay soil. In more loamy soil, flooding is useless because it percolates and doesn’t flood the entire tunnel system. In my area, trapping is most effective.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #117  
In my area, trapping is most effective.
Same here in northern Nevada. I've turned a hose on into a fresh tunnel...an hour later and no water coming out anywhere and no gopher coming up.

Although lately I've had some good gopher control (and ground squirrels) done by badgers that dig them up. But the badgers leave HUGE mounds and big holes!

/ Pocket Gopher Control #118  
Spring traps work fine once we got past a learning curve. The trick here seems to be to leave the end of the tunnel open so that the gopher comes to make repairs. A well set trap works within a day.

Our sandy soil makes flooding useless, and we won't use poisons.

Frankly, we tolerate a certain amount of gophers at the far edges of our property and only set for them when they begin to invade the gardens.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #119  
Same here in northern Nevada. I've turned a hose on into a fresh tunnel...an hour later and no water coming out anywhere and no gopher coming up.

Although lately I've had some good gopher control (and ground squirrels) done by badgers that dig them up. But the badgers leave HUGE mounds and big holes!
I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing they are gone by trapping them.

/ Pocket Gopher Control #120  
I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing they are gone by trapping them.
Yup. After I trap one I reset the traps and sometimes catch another one from the same tunnel complex. If the traps remained untripped and unburied after a few days then I pull them.

Trees are hard to come by here in the desert. After the rascals killed some trees I'd planted (ate the roots) I get after them as soon as I see any sign they are on my place.