Recommended multi-meter

/ Recommended multi-meter #11  
When testing vehicles, it is nice if the DC amps is at least 20a, otherwise you have to really be careful. My old meter from my shop days is like this old Suzuki mulimeter.

Suzuki Pocket Tester Multimeter Multi Meter Vintage Motorcycle GSX-R GSXR | #2096911688
Used to use old Simpson meters like that back in the day, when you just needed to see a pulse, not measure it, just see a quick pulse on a radar cal, the analog meter would deflect, and a digital meter wouldn't show anything. Good stuff!

/ Recommended multi-meter #12  
I have a Fluke that doesn't get used very much, a couple cheapies, miniature Radio Shack, etc. The favorite for the last few years has been a Southwire clamp-on 400A (AC & DC).

/ Recommended multi-meter #13  
One in #1 post is more than sufficient for average person doing miscellaneous measurement around vehicle and house/barn....

Have two digital meters one cheap, one expensive....Have two analog meters, one cheap, one expensive... But for automotive/tractor work (no computers) I grab this first.....

2700449466_c7ca691904_z.jpg

/ Recommended multi-meter #14  
Livemusic the harbor freight one is what you want $6.99:

1715295761863.png

willy

/ Recommended multi-meter #15  
Any old cheepo meter works good enough for utility power and battery power as long as its ac/dc. Personally i like a basic meter to be able to be a clamp on style ac and dc amps because its a great way to trace power thru a circuit without having to unhook wires.

now if your testing generator power, go fluke or go home. Chepo testers cant reliably read dirtier power from a generator correctly. Ive even had greenlee and klines give false readings on generator power.

/ Recommended multi-meter #16  
now if your testing generator power, go fluke or go home. Chepo testers cant reliably read dirtier power from a generator correctly. Ive even had greenlee and klines give false readings on generator power.
An RMS meter is an RMS meter these days, just make sure it is a "True RMS" meter. You might have been comparing a True RMS meter to one that wasn't. You are kind of saying your Kioti and my LS can't move dirt as well because they aren't a Kubota. You do need an o'scope or a THD meter which is really spendy if you want more detail.

I'm with ya on the clamp meter though! I recently bought an inrush current clamp meter, that's nice to see.

Last edited:
   / Recommended multi-meter #17  
I have two Flukes and an analog with the old school needle. The needle is handy at times, like when tuning my generators.

/ Recommended multi-meter #18  
I've a couple of Kleins and probably half a dozen HF freebies like
1715325512081.png

scattered around, (with the batteries OUT to prevent corrosion), so simple ones are relatively handy all the time.

/ Recommended multi-meter #19  
The HF freebee works fine so why pay for one.

/ Recommended multi-meter #20  
I have a roughly 30 year old Fluke 77. That thing has just flat held up. If anything happened to it I would buy the new version, but dog they are spendy.