Single axle, dually equipment trailer

/ Single axle, dually equipment trailer
Thanks everyone. I was a little concerned about no suspension, but I thought that the weight of the trailer would help with that. This definitely wouldn't get used every day...maybe a half-dozen times a year.

I could remove the solid spacer above the axle and install leaf springs. I was planning on welding the trailer together to eliminate the tilt feature anyways. But I think between that, the brakes, new tires/deck/wiring...it may be more of a project than I want to take on.
I have a F350 dually axle and suspension I could throw under it too and use an electric over hydraulic brake setup...but again, I don't think I want to take that on at this time even though I think it would be a fun project.
Definitely not at the price point they are asking for this trailer at this time either...

I'll keep looking for a standard tandem axle trailer I can cut down...

/ Single axle, dually equipment trailer #12  
Thats a farm use trailer. To make it roadworthy for frequent use would be challenging.
Off road on a farm? Yeah sure, all day.

Thats a farm use trailer. To make it roadworthy for frequent use would be challenging.
Off road on a farm? Yeah sure, all day.

Brakes and lights and it would be road worthy 🤔

/ Single axle, dually equipment trailer #14  
Brakes and lights and it would be road worthy 🤔

“to make it roadworthy for frequent use” was what I said.

(Like to pull it around every day behind a truck)

And to be picky, also would need a breakaway battery box, battery, license plate holder and maybe some conspicuity tape. You’d probably need an annual inspection sticker (if your state requires), insurance.

Does it have a state title?

“to make it roadworthy for frequent use” was what I said.

(Like to pull it around every day behind a truck)

And to be picky, also would need a breakaway battery box, battery, license plate holder and maybe some conspicuity tape. You’d probably need an annual inspection sticker (if your state requires), insurance.

Does it have a state title?

I think we'd just be arguing over "roadworthy" vs. "like new" :ROFLMAO:

Breakaway system & battery are part of the brakes I mentioned. License plate holder is already on the back. DOT Tape is easy enough.
I don't get my trailers inspected...never have. Even so, it's $20, and I have a friend for that. Insurance is carried by the vehicle towing it (unless you wanted a separate policy for theft or fire, etc...).

The ad says there is no title. So yes, that is the biggest thing. It's fairly easy to get one here, so that's not really a big issue.
In reality, I probably wouldn't title it. I'd just slap a permanent trailer tag on it I've got laying around here and use it the few times a year I would need it.
VA likes to tax you just for owning things, so the less I own on paper, the better.

/ Single axle, dually equipment trailer #16  
I think we'd just be arguing over "roadworthy" vs. "like new" :ROFLMAO:
Nah, I mean “roadworthy” like a trailer you’d want to drive over the road on a regular basis. With no suspension, that would be an ugly scene. :oops:
Breakaway system & battery are part of the brakes I mentioned. License plate holder is already on the back. DOT Tape is easy enough.

We don’t even know if the brakes work. Could take a lot of labor or expense to get all that done.
I don't get my trailers inspected...never have. Even so, it's $20, and I have a friend for that.

If it passes, it $20. If it needs work, much more.
Insurance is carried by the vehicle towing it (unless you wanted a separate policy for theft or fire, etc...).

That’s what I was referring to. Also has to be registered.

The ad says there is no title. So yes, that is the biggest thing. It's fairly easy to get one here, so that's not really a big issue.

Its a PITA to get a title on an untitled vehicle in many states.

In reality, I probably wouldn't title it. I'd just slap a permanent trailer tag on it I've got laying around here and use it the few times a year I would need it.
VA likes to tax you just for owning things, so the less I own on paper, the better.

Hey, go for it and let us know how it turns out. A trailer to be used on the road needs to be safe. Enough bad stuff happens with a solid, roadworthy titled trailer with lights & brakes.

Then there’s the cops. Oh man the cops love trailers like that. They see rust, lack of paint or anything that looks out of place and they’ll DOT your a$$ with joy. I got DOT’d in February for alegedly not having a DOT # on my truck, but that was a lie. The DOT # was in plain view on my truck and the cop was just looking for something to do.

I wouldn’t use that trailer anywhere but on the farm/off road.

/ Single axle, dually equipment trailer #17  
Its a PITA to get a title on an untitled vehicle in many states.

It just depends. If one can convince the DMV that it is a home built trailer (even if you didn't build it), then they may title it.

I decided to title/license my home built conex box dolly. They asked me to get a bill of sale on all the parts that went into it. Most were purchased used, but they accepted a hand written note on the parts. There wasn't much inspection of it.