Stump grinder..

/ Stump grinder.. #11  
And yet, I have THAT grinder on MY tractor,

Resized-20200925-152750-8929-S.jpg

and using creep gears, it works perfectly, I only have to touch the clutch when switching directions.

Glad I don't have it on a deere!

SR
It is undeniable that this style grinder works more efficiently on a HST tractor.

Creep gears are considerably better than no creep gears for sure. Just as the HST is considerably better than creep gears for this style grinder.

Can it work perfectly adequately on any tractor? Absolutely, and all that matters is the operator is happy with what they have. It sure beats a shovel!

/ Stump grinder.. #12  
Mr Piston,

Your rig is more capable and convient to operate........ However, I, personally, would not refer to the Woodland Mills Stump Grinder as "cheap"....... just sayin':)

Cheers,
Mike
Mike, I appreciate your opinion here. I admittedly did sound like I was putting down the Woodland Mills! What I mean though, is I’m using the term “cheap” in a relative way. Cost wise, it is considerably cheaper than the alternatives, so relative to the others it is literally “cheap” as far as money goes, and as I stated above, I think value wise, you can’t beat the woodland mills! The stumps don’t know the difference anyhow!

/ Stump grinder.. #13  
It is undeniable that this style grinder works more efficiently on a HST tractor.

Creep gears are considerably better than no creep gears for sure. Just as the HST is considerably better than creep gears for this style grinder.

Can it work perfectly adequately on any tractor? Absolutely, and all that matters is the operator is happy with what they have. It sure beats a shovel!
I'm just wondering, have YOU tried one on both types of trans??

I have both, so I'm not guessing on what one works properly or better, and what one doesn't. Mine works just fine on the tractor in the pict., and a hystat doesn't get the stump ground any faster...

I ground over 30 stumps in one day with the above combo, and made half of the money back that I paid for the grinder. IF it would have been better with a hystat, then that's what I'd use.

Maybe those deere creep trans, aren't geared right? I've never tried one.

SR

/ Stump grinder.. #14  
Would be terrible to try to use it with a gear-drive machine.
Wow, had no idea this could be such a controversial statement. I'll just say "I" wouldn't want to use it on a geared tractor.....

/ Stump grinder.. #15  
I also have a Woodland Mills and a geared tractor. My old tractor did not have a creep gear and I wished it did. So, I bought a tractor with a creep gear. I have not used the grinder with the new tractor yet, but certainly was not disappointed with it on the old tractor. Point of note, with this type of grinder, you have to cut into the pile of cuttings, move the cutter from left to right as looking at it from the drivers seat, or it will hop really bad. You need the teeth to be pulling down into the stump, not trying to climb out of it.

/ Stump grinder.. #16  
I can see where a "creep gear" would work pretty well on the forward movement (especially on a higher horsepower model where you could have the slip clutch cranked down harder).

However, to use this grinder you are constantly having to go from forward to reverse. I think constantly having to be clutching and moving a gear lever in that manner would be a pain (not to mention, kind of hard on the equipment). And I'm no amateur when it comes to manual transmissions, I've been driving them for 50 years.

My experience so far has been that I have to go from forward to reverse anywhere from 10 to 20 times or more, depending on size, species and age of the stump.

Edit: I guess many "geared" tractors these days might be "power reverser" type units, so the F - R changes aren't really much of a consideration?

Last edited:
   / Stump grinder.. #17  
My tractors are both hydraulic shuttle M9's with creep gears so I never touch the clutch pedal when grinding with my Landpride ever. I just put them in creep and use the column mounted lever to advance or regress the grinder. I don't have to twist and look over my shoulder either. I have a cam mounted center rear as well as a rearview mirror in the cab tractor. Takes a bit of coordination but is certainly doable, least for me it is.

/ Stump grinder.. #18  
   / Stump grinder.. #19  
For further discussion of vertical axis stump grinders/planers see mahar's thread of Feb 8, 2022 "Stump Plane" Stump plane.
While the American manufacturer Fecon makes a 6" auger for mini (walk beside) skid steers, most are hydraulically driven and require high-flow and high torque. Premier states "Our stump planer augers are also not compatible with 3 Point PTO Augers for tractors." In the videos of 3-point PTO planers, note the reactive movements of relatively large tractors.

/ Stump grinder.. #20  
For further discussion of vertical axis stump grinders/planers see mahar's thread of Feb 8, 2022 "Stump Plane" Stump plane.
While the American manufacturer Fecon makes a 6" auger for mini (walk beside) skid steers, most are hydraulically driven and require high-flow and high torque. Premier states "Our stump planer augers are also not compatible with 3 Point PTO Augers for tractors." In the videos of 3-point PTO planers, note the reactive movements of relatively large tractors.
Many of the compact tractors can provide close to or above the minimum hydraulic requirements of many auger drives. They certainly would not spin it rapidly, but that's not the point.
Of course "Our stump planer augers are also not compatible with 3 Point PTO Augers for tractors." they would not be compatible for 3 point drives with no down pressure. Also many or most 3 point augers have quite light weight gearboxs.