What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss?

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #181  
For whatever reason my guess is the electrolyte was low allowing space for hydrogen gas to accumulate?

Only had one battery blow up and that was working at the auto dealer… it was a car took in on trade that needed a jump.

Owner said to see if it will take a charge.

Put industrial charger on for 30 minutes and when I removed lead kaboom…

Sales and shop guys came running…

Senior mechanic hosed me down and a few minutes later my shirt was in tatters.

Acid got the side of my face, arm an shoulder but not eyes…

I was 14 or 15…

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #182  
Curious what preppers believe is going to happen? If someone has, say, a truckload of ammo, what's the purpose? Same with supplies if one has 500 cans of food, how long will that last...then what? A stash of gold...who's buying and for what? Water would be my main concern, but we have springs, well, pond & creek. Fuel storage for I guess generator, tractor?
I'm not being flippant, but we have prepper neighbors who actually believe the world will end soon, and since I've known them 40 years "soon" has occurred 50 times already!
But...very soon...wait and see they tell us.

I know a couple that are still sitting on way too much stuff they bought when it went from 1999 to the year 2000

For whatever reason my guess is the electrolyte was low allowing space for hydrogen gas to accumulate?

Only had one battery blow up and that was working at the auto dealer… it was a car took in on trade that needed a jump.

Owner said to see if it will take a charge.

Put industrial charger on for 30 minutes and when I removed lead kaboom…

Sales and shop guys came running…

Senior mechanic hosed me down and a few minutes later my shirt was in tatters.

Acid got the side of my face, arm an shoulder but not eyes…

I was 14 or 15…
Who is this replying to?

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #183  
Curious what preppers believe is going to happen? If someone has, say, a truckload of ammo, what's the purpose? Same with supplies if one has 500 cans of food, how long will that last...then what? A stash of gold...who's buying and for what? Water would be my main concern, but we have springs, well, pond & creek. Fuel storage for I guess generator, tractor?
I'm not being flippant, but we have prepper neighbors who actually believe the world will end soon, and since I've known them 40 years "soon" has occurred 50 times already!
But...very soon...wait and see they tell us.

It is not fear, I have yet to meet any that live in fear. They are ready however for about anything. I linked an article from someone that survived the Bosnia "civil war", it is clear many did not read that.

Having a "stash" is really what the other poster said, it is "extra" food. You do eat it. We have a few freeze dried "camping" food, basically like old LRRP rations, add hot water and eat. But most of our stuff is food we usually eat.

Why they do this, just to be ready. There is really not much cost to it as you are eating it anyway. You might have some containers and O2 absorbers but that stuff is not expensive.

What do they think will happen. Do you remember the "summer of love" and the "mostly" peaceful protests where the mob burned buildings. I think I posted up a video of a power station that was shot and it took down an entire county. Several power stations got attacked in a like manner. The equipment damaged was "easy" to replace, but there are some things in the sub station that would take a year to replace. There are just no extras of that specific part laying around.

It is easy to see we are letting in people that do not like us very much, do not like our way of life. Just like 9/11 they are just waiting for the word to do something. You will see something like that happen again, and many think it will be on a larger scale. When the "haves" are building huge bunkers in their million $ houses I have a feeling something is up.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #184  
Before Covid, I thought of "preppers" as people that where a little out there.

Since the shutdown, I now believe that being prepared for disruptions and shortages in food is the smart thing to do. I saw people hording, and I saw people waiting in lines for hours to buy stuff. I personally went to multiple stores almost daily to get what we needed, and we traded eggs to people that we knew who couldn't find eggs in the stores.

Having a little land means that we have an opportunity to be ready if the government loses it's mind again, and does something really stupid. I don't see any indication that they are getting smarter, or will do the right thing.

Since I have no confidence in the government, I'm a strong believer that life will be significantly better if we have food stored up, the ability to continue to produce food, and even a way to protect that food, and ourselves if needed.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #185  
Before Covid, I thought of "preppers" as people that where a little out there.

Since the shutdown, I now believe that being prepared for disruptions and shortages in food is the smart thing to do. I saw people hording, and I saw people waiting in lines for hours to buy stuff. I personally went to multiple stores almost daily to get what we needed, and we traded eggs to people that we knew who couldn't find eggs in the stores.

Having a little land means that we have an opportunity to be ready if the government loses it's mind again, and does something really stupid. I don't see any indication that they are getting smarter, or will do the right thing.

Since I have no confidence in the government, I'm a strong believer that life will be significantly better if we have food stored up, the ability to continue to produce food, and even a way to protect that food, and ourselves if needed.

So, couple years ago, maybe 3-4, my little brother posts on Facebook asking for info about off grid stuff. Anyways, one of my sisters recommends Mother Earth News; I responded with prepper websites; But commented; "If you go far enough left, or far enough right, you ended up at the same place, living in a shack in the woods away from everyone".

If you are really serious about preparing, part of it is preparing to be uncomfortable. Lot easier to vacuum seal 100# of rice, 100# of beans, a barrel of corn, a 50# of salt/sugar, 10# of curing pink salts ect; that would keep you alive; than hundreda id freeze dried meals; but let's face it; it's not going to be enjoyable/comfortable.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #186  
I don't think we need to go to extreme. I just want a cushion. Something to get us by when we cannot find what we need, or if we can't get to town for a period of time. Snow and Ice will shut us down for a day, or a week. We do not have snow plows here, so when it happens, most people stay home and wait it out. During Covid, I know some people that didn't leave their homes for a full year.

Ten years ago, I wouldn't think it was possible, but today, I have no confidence in our Infrastructure, or Politicians. If you don't have supplies, then you are dependent on others.

It all comes down to trusting that those in charge will do the right thing, and that they are smart enough to know what to do.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #187  
It is not fear, I have yet to meet any that live in fear. They are ready however for about anything. I linked an article from someone that survived the Bosnia "civil war", it is clear many did not read that.

Having a "stash" is really what the other poster said, it is "extra" food. You do eat it. We have a few freeze dried "camping" food, basically like old LRRP rations, add hot water and eat. But most of our stuff is food we usually eat.

Why they do this, just to be ready. There is really not much cost to it as you are eating it anyway. You might have some containers and O2 absorbers but that stuff is not expensive.

What do they think will happen. Do you remember the "summer of love" and the "mostly" peaceful protests where the mob burned buildings. I think I posted up a video of a power station that was shot and it took down an entire county. Several power stations got attacked in a like manner. The equipment damaged was "easy" to replace, but there are some things in the sub station that would take a year to replace. There are just no extras of that specific part laying around.

It is easy to see we are letting in people that do not like us very much, do not like our way of life. Just like 9/11 they are just waiting for the word to do something. You will see something like that happen again, and many think it will be on a larger scale. When the "haves" are building huge bunkers in their million $ houses I have a feeling something is up.

The "haves" want to keep living a comfortable a life if the SHTF and have the resources to build bunkers. Most people can survive for 6-12 months if the SHTF with wise planning. They will not be living their current lifestyles, but they would make it. It will not be easy. They will deal with harsh realities of life and death...a lot of death.

If everyone had six months of "stuff" there would be no panic or riots. Preppers are not emptying grocery shelfs when a hurricane is in the forecast. People will not plan even for an emergency that has a high probability of happening every couple of years. They live in a danger zone and do not have two weeks of stuff stockpiled. But they drive $50k vehicles, eat out, go to bars, smoke weed, buy coffee at Starbucks and take vacations...morons.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #188  
So, for a Hurricane kinda kit; sorta 10-14 day max; we all know the primary stuff; but a few things people donr typically think about;
1) Good bug spray/Hornet killer
2) wet wipes; might need a moist towelette shower,
3) propane to cook
4) more water than most people think, if your doing any kinda work/clean up; it might be 2+ gallons/person/day; also water to cook with
5) cell phone power packs; might not be necessary, but fighting boredom
6) a few cans of pre-mix, stable fuel; it's not cheap, but even 3 or 4 quarts is great to have
7) 3 or 4 lighters; 1 won't work, couple get wet or lost
8) cordless tool batteries; Rigid now has a 120v AC inverter than runs off their 18v batteries; not gonna run an AC; but will run a fan or cell phone chargers

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #189  
So, for a Hurricane kinda kit; sorta 10-14 day max; we all know the primary stuff; but a few things people donr typically think about;
1) Good bug spray/Hornet killer
2) wet wipes; might need a moist towelette shower,
3) propane to cook
4) more water than most people think, if your doing any kinda work/clean up; it might be 2+ gallons/person/day; also water to cook with
5) cell phone power packs; might not be necessary, but fighting boredom
6) a few cans of pre-mix, stable fuel; it's not cheap, but even 3 or 4 quarts is great to have
7) 3 or 4 lighters; 1 won't work, couple get wet or lost
8) cordless tool batteries; Rigid now has a 120v AC inverter than runs off their 18v batteries; not gonna run an AC; but will run a fan or cell phone chargers

I have Stihl AP batteries and looked for compatible Inverter like others offer.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #190  
Since this seems to have turned into a "prepping" discussion -
Make sure you take care of your meds.
Lot's of us are on various meds that seem readily available and routine, just as toilet paper had in January of 2020.
Until something F's up.
Insulin is now in "shortage". Seems since the drug companies can't continue to rape us for $80 what costs them $4 they are moving on to something else more profitable, weight loss drugs.