What do you suppose this weed barrier was made of??

/ What do you suppose this weed barrier was made of?? #1  

jymbee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey 1652, 1949 Farmall H
Determined to keep weeds at bay in the vegetable garden this season. Over the years I've used just about everything at one time or the other. Everything including landscape fabric, grass clippings, mulch hay, cardboard, newspaper, wood chips etc. etc.

Each works to some extent but each has its limitations. Today I stopped by a tree/plant nursery and their whole outdoor yard was covered with what appeared to be some kind of weed barrier material, but definitely not the kind you can buy in big box stores (most of which IMO is relatively useless). It was thicker/studier but still permeable. There were absolutely no weeds anywhere save for the few areas where there were small tears or one layer didn't quite overlap another. In those "exposed" sections-- weeds.

There was only one person at the desk the crew being out and about and she didn't know what this stuff was. I got a number to call back later and they hopefully will let me know what the material was, but I thought that perhaps some others might have suggestions as to an effective, high quality weed control material? that would work better than any of the above mentioned?

/ What do you suppose this weed barrier was made of?? #2  
It's the same material but of a better quality than you can get at the chain stores.

/ What do you suppose this weed barrier was made of?? #3  
The professional grade fabrics are much heavier duty (2-6x heavier fabric), and come in a variety of types, woven, non-woven, combination fabrics, and needle punched. I prefer non-woven, but I'm told that the woven fabrics are more resistant to growth, though less permeable compared to non-woven versions. In general, weed barrier fabrics have more UV protection in the plastic compared to geotextiles. I used 10oz non-woven fabric, and it is still resisting penetrating growth, 15 years later. YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

/ What do you suppose this weed barrier was made of?? #4  
IDK what it’s made of, but I have some of that high quality weed barrier that’s been under gravel for the past 19 years in a landscaping bed. Still working well.

/ What do you suppose this weed barrier was made of?? #5  
What you are looking for is called woven ground cover. I've had it in my garden year round for the last 4 years. It still works as it should. Most weed barrier will not hold up to the sun. It will be falling apart in months

Attachments

• 20230622_172800.jpg
    20230622_172800.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 55
   / What do you suppose this weed barrier was made of?? #6  
You might look at some of the professional/commercial greenhouse suppliers.

Last edited:
   / What do you suppose this weed barrier was made of?? #7  
I am switching to rai$ed beds this year with grass between beds. Cardboard off season to keep weeds smothered is my goal. Never thought that I would do it, but just too many weeds.

/ What do you suppose this weed barrier was made of?? #8  
I am switching to rai$ed beds this year with grass between beds. Cardboard off season to keep weeds smothered is my goal. Never thought that I would do it, but just too many weeds.
I'm using slabs from my sawmill. Last year I put sawdust between the rows in my strawberries. The downside is that it gives slugs a place to hang out, but I can take care of that with a salt shaker.

/ What do you suppose this weed barrier was made of??
What you are looking for is called woven ground cover. I've had it in my garden year round for the last 4 years. It still works as it should. Most weed barrier will not hold up to the sun. It will be falling apart in months
Nice looking garden!

Yeah, I think the last fabric I bought was woven and it worked fairly well, but still each year more & more weeds grew through it. That seems to be a pretty common sentiment when you read reviews where some report it works great while others blast it as ineffective. Such are reviews in general...

I expect there's multiple factors involved having to do with soil preparation & type, amount of rainfall, types of prevailing weeds and so forth.

The thickness seems to one varying factor ranging from 2.4s oz to 5.8 oz or more. Seems the thicker, the better. I have ordered some of the heavier woven fabric and will try it out on one of the beds.