Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,941  
FMVSS No 108. Is rather dense and bureaucratese but it defines illumination patterns, maximum illumination brightness (which is not the same thing as bulb lumens). The point of the Federal Regulation is to provide lighting which works and does not blind other drivers.

Is something every motor vehicle manufacturer is fluent in, and builds vehicles to the limit of what the law allows.

As I said, you are overly self-important.

You have to go making things up, such as the belief you are entitled to blind other drivers because you know somehow they have "head up rump".

I used to have a sticker proclaiming, "Loud Paint Saves Lives" on my very orange GL1800. While at the same time wearing high-viz dayglow gear and yellow helmet.
We have all stated we use these in the daytime. Daytime means sunlight, and you don't get blinded by oncoming headlights, and you can see your lane and your way despite the highbeam.

How many bikers have been killed or hurt because people don't see them? 1 is too many.

So what's the problem?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,942  
So we have established that you have a superior attitude and deserve laws to let you do things others are not permitted?

That motorcycles get to have loud pipes, flashing headlights, and excessive lighting, that no others are allowed?

You do the same in the EV thread. You know nothing of EV other than bias conformation you read on the internet. No thinking involved. Turn brain off before admitting you have looked away from blinding lights. That you have quit looking in rear view mirrors when headlights from behind are merely uncomfortable.
You need to get onto the new headlights being put in Fords, they are overly bright. Call the bureaucrats about them.

This is a great thread, where people share having fun with their passions, and you are the only one going the other direction. Please have fun with us.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,943  
We have all stated we use these in the daytime. Daytime means sunlight, and you don't get blinded by oncoming headlights, and you can see your lane and your way despite the highbeam.
The OE headlight on my 2016 Yamaha FJR will blind you on high beam in daylight if I am following. As will the headlights of a 2001+ GL1800.

How many bikers have been killed or hurt because people don't see them? 1 is too many.

So what's the problem?
You presume a blinding headlight solves the visibility problem.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,944  
So, who went riding this week? Post up some pics of the ride and the bike that took you there. I'll post a few when I get home. Hope y'all enjoyed the beautiful weekend.

Without photos, it never happened 🤓

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,945  
Go back to the EV thread and bully people there. Or start your own high beams should be illegal thread. Or just come here to talk about your motorcycle and the rides you've been on this week.

Good points and suggestions.

It's a two-way street, both on a MC, and on here. I choose to own my Defensive-Riding, as any sane rider does.

I read, a LOT, on a wide-range of topics. To optimize time for quality reading, I practice Defensive-Reading.

Another option is to hit the (actual) Ignore Button available on TBN here.... you can switch it off later if you want, but activating it will enhance the quality of your reading, and may help threads stay open longer.

Rgds, D.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,946  
I have been involved in flat track for a long time. And my building bikes/engines started with this engine.

It was raced by a friend. He took a chance on me helping him no one else wanted to deal with his temper. It was well known. Somehow, I survived.

Dan got his transfer points racing, and the Bul was forgotten. After he passed way too young (RIP Dan), I ended up with the bike in pieces. The frame is already done, now the engine is ready to go back into the frame for the first time in 40+ years.

Champion frame, 350cc Bultaco Astro motor. Not the better known 360, this is the earlier engine. And it has a bunch of NOS parts in it.

Looking forward to getting this one done
Rich, how's the build coming? My buddy's Astro 360 would crack pistons after a few races. I believe he switched to Wiseco maybe?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,947  
Had most of the family out the other day.

And you can't even see the blinding planet destroying human incinerating, on coming vehicle melting lights on the AT.

1715689037757.png

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,948  
Rode in to work this morning, left my house at 0545, only had to dodge three deer!

Looking at new tires now. Been riding on Dunlop Trailmax Missions for the past three sets, now contemplating the Dunlop Trailmax Raid... more of a 50/50 tire, since I'm venturing farther and farther off the paved path these days.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,949  
Rode in to work this morning, left my house at 0545, only had to dodge three deer!

Looking at new tires now. Been riding on Dunlop Trailmax Missions for the past three sets, now contemplating the Dunlop Trailmax Raid... more of a 50/50 tire, since I'm venturing farther and farther off the paved path these days.
Thunderstorms again here....and most of the week is rain and storms. I am really getting sick and tired of this.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,950  
Thunderstorms again here....and most of the week is rain and storms. I am really getting sick and tired of this.
I hear ya!!!!

I'm not a fair weather rider, per se... but, if I'm setting out to ride / commute, and it's raining sideways, I tend to pass. Even with all my goretex Klim gear, I just tend to take the Jeep.

Now, if I get caught in the rain whilst out, no worries. No stranger to the rain for sure... but, the older I get, the more cantankerous I get.

When I retired from the Army, I said there are four things I will NEVER do at the same time again...

COLD
WET
SLEEPY
HUNGRY

I'll do three of the four, but not all four. Wet being my least favorite. :)

Ride often, ride safe!