Who rides motorcycles?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,911  
A couple years ago with Harley discontinuing their iconic air cooled Sportster after over 60 years I thought it was time I look into picking one up. So I'd been casually looking for a couple years on Facebook marketplace, etc. but I seldom saw unmolested ones equipped how I want, which was:
1) Stock or mostly so, no motor mods, etc, low miles preferred (under 10K).
2) 1200.
3) cast wheels so no inner tubes.
4) twin front rotors
5) mid controls, not forward.
6) 3+ gallon tank minimum, prefer larger.
7) carburetor ok but prefer FI
8) Full suspension with 13" shocks, not a low.
9) 2004+ for smoother, rubber mounted motor.

Long story short one popped up that was exactly what I'd been looking for, it's a 2008 XL1200R. The only thing it had I don't care for are aftermarket slip-ons which are too loud, but stock mufflers are easy to find and inexpensive. It was a little more than I was hoping to pay, especially given the original tires needed replaced as well as the 4 year old battery, but it was a very clean, one owner (passed away), that had been dealer serviced every year. It has a 4 1/2 gallon tank and is FI.

Anyway yesterday I took it out for 40 miles or so to warm the oils before changing them and what a delightful motorcycle for casual riding. I pulled over on the way back and snapped this pic.

very good looking bike, nice find.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,912  
I have been looking at them lately, but it is just going to have to have wire wheels. Cast on a harley is just wrong to my eye.
You'll find plenty on the market with spokes.

Here is my thinking though. Harley was one of the early adopters of cast wheels on motorcycles and has been offering them for over 40 years on Sportsters. I believe all of their higher performance versions have had cast wheels since the early 1980's.
Cast wheels never have to be trued and they're easier to clean.
The biggest advantage of cast wheels is running tubeless tires. So both for safety and convenience I just won't buy any street bike with wheels that require inner tubes.

Thanks Rockbadchild.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,913  
I've been wanting a set of BST carbon wheels for years. But, Im too focused on seeing monetary return for my investments at this point.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,914  
You'll find plenty on the market with spokes.

Here is my thinking though. Harley was one of the early adopters of cast wheels on motorcycles and has been offering them for over 40 years on Sportsters. I believe all of their higher performance versions have had cast wheels since the early 1980's.
Cast wheels never have to be trued and they're easier to clean.
The biggest advantage of cast wheels is running tubeless tires. So both for safety and convenience I just won't buy any street bike with wheels that require inner tubes.

Thanks Rockbadchild.

All that is true, but spokes just look better. I still have spokes on one of my cars.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,915  
Spokes look better to some and to you. I have spoke wheels on 3 other motorcycles and I don't care for the looks of them. Nor the cleaning and maintenance, I really wish they were cast. 2 of the 3 utilize cross spoke design so at least they run tubeless tires otherwise I wouldn't even own them. The other is a 250 dirt bike.

What car do you have with wire wheels? Something older and British I'm guessing?

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,916  
Spokes look better to some and to you. I have spoke wheels on 3 other motorcycles and I don't care for the looks of them. Nor the cleaning and maintenance, I really wish they were cast. 2 of the 3 utilize cross spoke design so at least they run tubeless tires otherwise I wouldn't even own them. The other is a 250 dirt bike.

What car do you have with wire wheels? Something older and British I'm guessing?

Triumph GT6.

I agree that they are a pain, and you must deal with tubes. To my eye they just look better. I do understand they are much more inexpensive for the companies to make, the real reason they are everywhere now, and you don't have to mess with tubes, tubes suck. A puncture and you are getting out the spoons on the side of the road, been there done that.

I agree they are far lower in the Maint. area.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,917  
Beautiful car and one I've rarely seen.

Yeah I'm removing wheels off that Sportster now. If I had to on the side of the road in order to fix a flat..... well no need worrying about prying the tire off the wheel because I couldn't even remove the wheel, I'd be calling for a trailer or walking.

It's difficult enough in my shop up on the lift with the front wheel clamped. Just getting the shields and muffler off in order to get to the axle was difficult. Next strap down the front and get a jack under the engine to raise the rear up, then the real fun starts dealing with the axle, pulley and belt, caliper......
I can't imagine having to deal with a flat on a spoke wheel Harley in the middle of nowhere. And given my luck there'd be with no cell service and either raining or 100 degree temperature.

My 30 year old BMW utilizes tubeless spoke wheels so it'd just be a case of plug, puff up with the little compressor, and keep going. Even if the wheel would need removed for some reason the whole process takes 5 minutes.... lift bike on center stand, remove 4 lug bolts and pull wheel off.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,918  
At maybe not even their best , MC are poetry in motion on the road.

I think (maybe just my old eyes....), that even if I had watched this @ 0.25 speed, I still would not have seen one wasted motion.

Few vids I'll watch more than once. For me, this ^ is one.

Rgds, D.

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,919  
That was pretty cool, but I gotta say it made me just a little crazy that the motor was left all disassembled and she started taking every other damn thing apart. Maybe she was waiting for parts lol, I dunno, but for me I'd have to finish that before I was worrying about removing the brakes and blinkers! But the end result was beautiful and renewed my desire to find a cool classic style motorcycle as a second bike. :D

/ Who rides motorcycles? #1,920  
Today shenanigan.

Attachments

• IMG_3235.jpeg
    IMG_3235.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3230.jpeg
    IMG_3230.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3223.jpeg
    IMG_3223.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18