You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,641  
When I was 15 there were two sisters I liked to visit about 2 miles away so I rode my bicycle through a trail in the woods. Coming back one evening it got dark and I mean pitch black dark. I had to walk the bike until I found a tree, go around and continue. (I had a generator light ). I finally got to a fence I knew was ours and made it home.
I figured if I met a bear the bicycle could be a weapon.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,642  
Same here except distance to a streetlight was closer to 10 miles. When it got dark, it got DARK.
Couple years ago they were redoing the street lights down my street. There was one going in across the street right in front of a couple major windows.
I had to slip the head guy a Texas Mickey to skip it so the front of my house wasn't lit up like a carnaval side show.
I miss the night being the night.
For ***** sake, it's a dead end street with almost no traffic. How many lights do you really need?

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,644  
What's a street? We have roads around here.
I grew up in the country off of a major highway. There weren't any lights anywhere until the late 60s.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,645  
When I was a kid, it seemed that all of the farms had overhead security yard lights that I assume the electric co-ops pushed.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,647  
I always thought a street was paved and a road was rock and dirt.
Nope. Streets are local, roads go somewhere. Hence a "road map" covers a larger region (e.g. state or tri-county) than a "street map" (i.e. city/town).

Now, if you're from eastern PA, you'll probably have one road running thru your town called "Street Road". I'm still not sure what to make of that.

/ You Know You Are Old When #2,648  
What's a street? We have roads around here.
I am zoned agricultural but within the city boundary. My side of the Welland Canal is country but the other is all subdivision.

/ You Know You Are Old When
#2,649  
Nope. Streets are local, roads go somewhere. Hence a "road map" covers a larger region (e.g. state or tri-county) than a "street map" (i.e. city/town).

Now, if you're from eastern PA, you'll probably have one road running thru your town called "Street Road". I'm still not sure what to make of that.

I go by this: