Hauling a square baler - Best way?

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #11  
Then there are mailboxes, signs etc on the ditch side to consider. :) I try to road my baler as little as possible.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #12  
From reading the replies, I think we don't have a common understanding what you are asking. Regular movement close to home or a one time transport some considerable distance.

When I had a small custom haying operation, I pulled the baler and mower/conditioner behind a pickem-up. The tractor and rakes went on the trailer and pulled by another pickem-up.

If talking about a one time transport. It might be easier just to tow it behind a truck and keep the speed down and display a slow moving vehicle sign if for no other reason than to catch other's attention. I'd consider this for transport say up to an 2 hr drive and stay off the supper slabs.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way?
Mickey_Fx said:
From reading the replies, I think we don't have a common understanding what you are asking. Regular movement close to home or a one time transport some considerable distance.

When I had a small custom haying operation, I pulled the baler and mower/conditioner behind a pickem-up. The tractor and rakes went on the trailer and pulled by another pickem-up.

If talking about a one time transport. It might be easier just to tow it behind a truck and keep the speed down and display a slow moving vehicle sign if for no other reason than to catch other's attention. I'd consider this for transport say up to an 2 hr drive and stay off the supper slabs.

Looking at buying a baler. Before I go have the winning bid on one in Pennsylvania or some other place 1000s of miles away I need to figure out how to get it home.

D.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #14  
There really is no easy way to transport a conventional small square baler. I went thru this a while back and looked at a nice baler 4 hours away. To tow it home would be an all day project and I would need to make sure I have a proper couple spare tires as well as a bearing (just in case) and a few other things for any type of serious break down. I always try to plan for the worse and my fear is losing a wheel 3 hours from home and not having the proper tools or parts.

What I did do is talked to my local dealer for the brand baler I was looking at. I asked them about picking it up for me as they would be able to easily take and repair any problems as they arrised. I ended up buying a baler from a dealer an hour away instead as it was a lot less hassles and was a better baler/price.

Robert_in_NY said:
There really is no easy way to transport a conventional small square baler. I went thru this a while back and looked at a nice baler 4 hours away. To tow it home would be an all day project and I would need to make sure I have a proper couple spare tires as well as a bearing (just in case) and a few other things for any type of serious break down. I always try to plan for the worse and my fear is losing a wheel 3 hours from home and not having the proper tools or parts.

What I did do is talked to my local dealer for the brand baler I was looking at. I asked them about picking it up for me as they would be able to easily take and repair any problems as they arrised. I ended up buying a baler from a dealer an hour away instead as it was a lot less hassles and was a better baler/price.

I am rapidly coming to the same conclusion. I will buy one from my JD dealer. They see a lot of equipment - they will find me one that is worth the money. They did me right on my round baler, so all good.

It seems here in Texas that square bales dont sell much. They go to a ranch and die there...

D.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #16  
jimg said:
Although you didnt ask about them inlines aren't over sized and fit nicely onto a trailer. They're also more common in the W where you are. I doubt it would cost anything (too much) to look into them.

Call foul, call me a fool, call me whatever, but with much of my county "urbanizing" and me forseeing a lot of the choice haying land moving west, this is the #1 reason I am looking into an inline. I'll deal with any disadvantages they may have. The advantage of being able to haul all of my hay equipment farther than I care to drive it is looking like it may pay off in spades over the next decade.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #17  
dDivinia, saw a 348 here in ga looked like new for 13.5, red oak good 16hr haul'n ***** from the bailer. I would back it up on a flat bed trailer with ramps so you could unload it at home. even if you have to back it down in a ditch and make some board ramps to keep the angle so it doesnt drag getting it on. it will go i have done it.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #18  
ddivinia said:
I am rapidly coming to the same conclusion. I will buy one from my JD dealer. They see a lot of equipment - they will find me one that is worth the money. They did me right on my round baler, so all good.

It seems here in Texas that square bales dont sell much. They go to a ranch and die there...

D.

Same thing happened in my case. I watched baler auctions on eBay for nearly a year. Saw a lot of excellent equipment go at fair prices. The good ones invariably were located East of the Rockies. Too far for me to tow home. Very expensive to ship.

I lucked out and found an excellent MF-124 two-twine square baler locally in one of the supermarket classified rags at a reasonable price.

Hope your JD dealer can come through for you.

mark.r said:
Call foul, call me a fool, call me whatever, but with much of my county "urbanizing" and me forseeing a lot of the choice haying land moving west, this is the #1 reason I am looking into an inline. I'll deal with any disadvantages they may have. The advantage of being able to haul all of my hay equipment farther than I care to drive it is looking like it may pay off in spades over the next decade.

Which inline do you like? Hesston?

D.

threeman said:
dDivinia, saw a 348 here in ga looked like new for 13.5, red oak good 16hr haul'n ***** from the bailer. I would back it up on a flat bed trailer with ramps so you could unload it at home. even if you have to back it down in a ditch and make some board ramps to keep the angle so it doesnt drag getting it on. it will go i have done it.

My flatbed has rails on it. I guess pick it up and block it and tie it down....I need to look at the dimensions.

D.