Hauling a square baler - Best way?

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #1  

ddivinia

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 5525 and 5093e Kubota SVL75
How does one load and haul a square baler? For local stuff - drive it down the road. I have been looking for a good used square baler and I really wonder how I will even go pick it up. My main trailer is a Big Tex 12GP 24' gooseneck. How the heck would I even get it up there (has rails).

How do people haul these things?

Thanks,
D.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #2  
Mine (NH 326) was put on a flat bed minus the tires (blocked up) and required a wide load permit. The dealer I bought from loaded it and I paid my NH dealer to unload and reassemble on my end. I pulled it home from there. The alternative is to stand it on edge (as it was originally packaged). If you go w/ that youll not need the wide load permit. If youre going to do it yourself Im not sure. However, my baler even w/o tires didnt fit a semi flat bed trailer. My baler also is fairly heavy, 3000#+.

Since a private trucker handled the move Im not sure how much the permits cost but I know he got them fairly quickly. He needed one for each state he drove thru. Seeing as youre not a For Hire trucker Im not sure what the drill would be. However, Id look into it very carefully. Also I think knowing some about rigging would be very handy as well.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #3  
I think most just pull it down the road. If the job is further than you want to pull, find them closer!! :D But you can get around at 20 mph.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #4  
Depending on the baler most will two at 50 without a problem.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way?
Sounds like a hassles regardless.

D.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way?
art said:
Depending on the baler most will two at 50 without a problem.

Driving 50mph from a couple states away would be painful. I think I am going to be buying local...

D.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #7  
If where you are getting it from has some resources & equipment, you might be able to get it on that trailer rather easy. I have moved them by pulling them on & releasing the swing for the hitch. Then you can kind of angle it. I don't think it looks too bad. Last one I moved hung over a few inches each side.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #8  
Although you didnt ask about them inlines aren't over sized and fit nicely onto a trailer. They're also more common in the W where you are. I doubt it would cost anything (too much) to look into them.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #9  
ddivinia said:
How does one load and haul a square baler? For local stuff - drive it down the road. I have been looking for a good used square baler and I really wonder how I will even go pick it up. My main trailer is a Big Tex 12GP 24' gooseneck. How the heck would I even get it up there (has rails).

How do people haul these things?

Thanks,
D.

Swing the baler hitch to the tow position and use your pickup. I towed my MF-124 baler (about 8-1/2 ft wide) about 35 miles when I bought it. No sweat. Just used the back roads and kept it below 30mph.

DSCF0270Small.jpg

Those JD balers you're looking at are wider, but you may be able to trailer it home on the back roads. I found that on-coming traffic generally will give you a break when they see what you're doing.

/ Hauling a square baler - Best way? #10  
flusher said:
I found that on-coming traffic generally will give you a break when they see what you're doing.

Or at least you hope they do... All it takes is that one person that is not paying attention.

We tow our JD 327 from time to time and on our roads, the truck and baler will fit in one lane but if there isn't any oncoming traffic, I'll keep the truck's tire on the yellow line so I don't have to worry about snagging anything. There are a few narrow bridges that are the only worrys.