What size tractor?

/ What size tractor? #1  

Clay

I'm starting up a small 5-8 acre vegetable farm. I'll need a tractor do basic field work and for mowing about 15 acres. I need advice on what tractor to buy. I've been looking at the Kubota B2710 and the JD 4200. Should I be looking bigger? I don't want to overbuy but I don't want something I'll outgrow soon. I'm thinking I could get started with a tractor, tiller, and a bush hog. Any advice?

/ What size tractor? #2  
Clay, I fully believe that a B-series will do a fine job for you. But, as the owner of an L4310HST, I think everyone with more than half an acre to work should have an L-series HST. And since you're going to be using it commercially, you might have special need for it later, too.

Mark

/ What size tractor? #3  
MarkC,

You're joking, right? More than half an acre and you need an L series HST? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ What size tractor? #4  
Clay, There isn't an echo in here, I'm just agreeing with Mark on the L series HST. I've got the L3010HST with loader, brush hog and tiller and I can't begin to tell you how great that single pedal is. One of my neighbors purchased a JD4100 and I got to drive it this past Spring. I'll take my single pedal over the JD two pedal for the work I do. BTW when you hear the argument about where the brake pedals are keep in mind I haven't used the brakes on my L3010HST since I got it except to use set the parking brake.

You won't outgrow the B2710 soon but you may be less comfortable than on a heavier tractor.

Kevin

/ What size tractor? #5  
Clay, I've got a B2710 and it'll do what you want to do, and you'd probably be happy with it (I sure like mine). However, I agree with the other guys that the bigger tractors, like the L series, will just be more comfortable and get the job done faster, if the cost difference isn't a major factor. Either way, you sure want to get the hydrostatic transmission. You say you're going to start with tractor, tiller, and a bush hog. That's good, but if you're starting a new garden spot, it'll be a lot faster if you get a turning plow (moldboard) to tear up the ground first, then use the tiller (plows are cheap and it'll save time and wear on an expensive tiller). And of course, I'd recommend a front end loader, too. You'll find lots of uses for that.

Bird

/ What size tractor? #6  
If your going to grow several acres of vegtables,there are spurts of pretty intensive work, with the weather a big factor. Timing is a big factor. I would consider two tractors--kind of like two hands are a lot more than twice as productive than one. Many jobs entail using several implements and changing implements back and forth, sometimes several times a day, like plows,tillers,sprayers bedders, spreaders,planters, wagons etc. Certainly 4-wheel-drive, creeper range/HST and some hydraulic capabilities on one unit would be handy. The second unit unit should be the same width, perhaps with a front end loader. Peronally I would not buy a compact tractor that was only two wheel drive, especially in a situation the puts you in a field/garden in the spring. I'd consider a new/used or used/used combination. This could give you some leverage with a dealer with implements thrown in. Also that 2nd tractor is handy to pull the other one out of that wet spot! Many times, getting multiple vegtable crops planted in a timely fashion before rains keep you from getting into a field, especially with some vegtables that are cold hardy and therefore planted early, is a key to success. Two tractors between 25 to 35 horses with a mix of ag and R4 tires may be your best bet( be careful; some R4 rims don`t allow you to adjust tire width) Buying the right thing the first time is usually the cheapest way to go. Don`t worry too much though, compact tractors have good resale value, at least if you stick to the major brands.

RCH

/ What size tractor? #7  
JimBinMI - It has nothing to do with capability. My rule of thumb is get the biggest tractor you can turn around on the property without having to back up. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Mark

/ What size tractor? #8  
I'll second Bird's comments on breaking the ground with a plow first - that's excellent advice. Not only will the plow avoid the extra wear, but if you've got any rocks around, it will turn them up where you can get rid of them (with the loader!) before they become "tiller killers". You can buy a couple plows for the price of repairing a tiller gearbox.

Mark

/ What size tractor? #9  
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I think we can all live with that definition! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ What size tractor? #10  
Wen - Why am I not surprised that you liked it? Mr. M6800...

Mark