Buying a new UTV/RTV

/ Buying a new UTV/RTV #1  

kubes14060

Tractor
John Deere
I know a lot of this information has been talked about here before but I have a question maybe someone can help me with:

I am new to this process of buying a UTV/RTV. I'm looking at the midsize types, like the Gator 550, Ranger 500, Kubota RTV 500/400.

Here are my questions:

I like John Deere products, but the new Gator 550 is not EFI. Is that something to be concerned about?? The Gator salesman says its not a big deal and the other salesman say it is a big deal (of course they will stay loyal to their products!

Also, the Gator and Kubota have an advertised 16 hp and the Ranger has an advertised 28 hp, but they are all around 500 cc engines? How can there be almost twice as much hp in a Ranger?

Also, how much hp is enough to do simple chores around a camp on the weekends??

Thanks for anyones input!!!!

/ Buying a new UTV/RTV #2  
The only thing I can comment on is the EFI. I would spend the extra money for the EFI. Having had ATV's with carbs for many years makes me appreciate the EFI on my Polaris Sportsman.

/ Buying a new UTV/RTV #4  
I've got an '06 Yamaha Rhino 450 that is carbed. Never had an issue except for a dirt dobber making a nest in some tube. That said, only thing I run in it is ethanol-free fuel.

/ Buying a new UTV/RTV #5  
Amen on the ethanol free fuel, I don't use it in any of my smaller motors either. I had a kawasaki 610 mule with the carb. and it worked fine for me, always had to choke it a little to get it running but after that it was pretty fool proof, ran really cheap on fuel too. Now I have a kubota 900xt which is a completely different animal.

/ Buying a new UTV/RTV #6  
I was surprised to see the new JD 550 did not have EFI as well. Especially since the other competitors do. Being a Gator 6x4 owner for several years now, which uses a carb, I can't say the carb has disappointed. I do a lot of start and stopping and have heard of some issues with older EFI gators and mules that this can cause some issues with gas getting into the oil, if the engine doesn't maintain a higher operating temp. Have not heard of this issue with Polaris or Kubota or the newer Gators. Maybe the 550 is more price competitive with a carb? I also have wondered how Polaris gets higher HP specs out of their engines? My 19 HP Gator does much more than just basic chores around our farm, so I think the 16 HP should be adequate.

/ Buying a new UTV/RTV #7  
I would compare the hauling and towing capacities of the machines instead of Hp. That gives me a real measure of the machine's ability verses my need. I would also recommend EFI. I have a Ranger 800xp EFI. It starts as good or better than anything I own regardless of temperature or conditions. As far as brand, I don't think you could go wrong with any of the top brands, just find the one that suits your needs and feels comfortable to you.

/ Buying a new UTV/RTV #8  
I just ordered a new utv myself. I went and drove different models and looked at towing ability. I got a great price on a kubota and I love the efi. I also love the metal floor of the kubota with a rubber mat that has a good grip. The down size is there are not as many after market accessories but I like how well made it is. Test drive the models that interest you and buy the one that makes you feel comfortable and happy. Have fun and be safe.

/ Buying a new UTV/RTV #9  
I have nothing against motors with carburetors. I have more than a couple of motors with carburetors. When the wind chill is sub-zero is when I prefer a motor with EFI.

/ Buying a new UTV/RTV #10  
I havent had any trouble out of my carb.on my Prowler but when the exhaust goes under water,it doesnt like it much dont think with the EFI would have that issue but I went with carb.cause it was something that could easly be replaced without all the $$$ if it had to be later down the road. We take it mule deer hunting and no issue with the elevation changes like I heard we would have. But will say all would suit you just fine,the Ranger being my pick just a more trail machine,has more pep,the size of the utv compared to the others,and after market accessories available for it....